The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
For all you pre-Gibson Mesa values will go up guys,...

Reactions: Diablo and jdto

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I foresee pre-Gibson Mesa/Boogies to increase in value significantly in the future.
The future, meaning tomorrow?

I suspect that existing stock will disappear pretty much overnight and used prices will skyrocket. We guitarists (and human beings in general) are suckers for perceived scarcity.

·
Premium Member
10,573 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
I love how Gibson went bankrupt because they kept buying other companies that are not in line with their core business. Now they've emerged restructured and the first thing they do is... buy another company.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Someone's been forcing you to watch him? :D
yes. Doug West and Randall Smith every time they do a demo for a product I have interest in. Boogie basically doesn’t use outside reviewers for their products so I don’t really get a choice.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
yes. Doug West and Randall Smith every time they do a demo for a product I have interest in. Boogie basically doesn’t use outside reviewers for their products so I don’t really get a choice.
However, there’s also the chance we just trade Doug West for Mark Agnissi...which is just as bad...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I hope this doesn't end up like so many of their other acquisitions did- going nowhere like Valley Arts, Steinberger, Oberheim, Trace Elliot, Tobias, etc, etc. How long before we're seeing cheap solid state amps with the Mesa name on them? Hopefully never but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if in a few years this comes to pass. It's true that this isn't the Gibson of Henry J. but time will tell.
There's a huge difference between one of the largest amp names out there, and the niche brands you mentioned.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Phew! That’s not the same Gibson ownership that killed of one a DAW I used back in the old days, Cakewalk (Sonar). Fortunately, a new owner bought the remnants from Gibson and made it a free DAW!
I hope the best for Mr Smith and Mesa Boogie.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I own 2 Gibson's and 2 Boogies... They sound great together. I see a great deal of chatter online...One of my Gibson's is a 2018 LP deluxe w/p90's. It is a bankruptcy year Les Paul (high quality too!) It sounds great through my Mark V and my Fillmore... I let my ears be the judge not the online keyboard warriors/angry YouTubers. Most of the negative opinions I've read online are just comments from "cheap seats" coming from folks with next to no real experience in the operation of a business or understanding of commerce in general.

It's tough out there right now for business owners, I'd say Randall has achieved what most entrepreneurs strive for. He built a product and brand equity that will allow him to transition to retirement comfortably. Reduce the stress, design the circuits till he wants to do something else...plus I'm sure he got a check with enough zeros to make this happen. Good for you Randy!!

My only hope is that Mesa/Boogie stays in Petaluma and all those folks keep their jobs.

·
Premium Member
5,907 Posts
I own 2 Gibson's and 2 Boogies... They sound great together. I see a great deal of chatter online...One of my Gibson's is a 2018 LP deluxe w/p90's. It is a bankruptcy year Les Paul (high quality too!) It sounds great through my Mark V and my Fillmore... I let my ears be the judge not the online keyboard warriors/angry YouTubers. Most of the negative opinions I've read online are just comments from "cheap seats" coming from folks with next to no real experience in the operation of a business or understanding of commerce in general.

It's tough out there right now for business owners, I'd say Randall has achieved what most entrepreneurs strive for. He built a product and brand equity that will allow him to transition to retirement comfortably. Reduce the stress, design the circuits till he wants to do something else...plus I'm sure he got a check with enough zeros to make this happen. Good for you Randy!!

My only hope is that Mesa/Boogie stays in Petaluma and all those folks keep their jobs.
For sure. At 75, one must start putting the end in sight.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
We'll see what happens. I've read (as far as I can tell) all of Randy's essays he has put up online over the years. He always said he could have sold out many times, but he saw what happened when CBS bought Fender and said he would never go down that road. However, all of these guys are getting older. Mike Soldano did something very similar a few years ago. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Can't wait for the 500.00 china-boogie.
That's funny, because Gibson is probably the only large guitar manufacturer that kept its production in the USA (not counting sub brands like Epiphone)

Hoping to never see a Mesa product made outside of California

If Gibson wants to use Mesa's R&D and have entry-level products built in Asia under another brand name, I have no issues with that

·
Premium Member
10,445 Posts
I recall there used to be some Gibson branded amps before...were they made by Gibson or through a partnership?

Im fine with this acquisition, its a sensible one. Fenders had amps all this time, at a full range of pricepoints.

I would like to know the rationale though...ie how does the mesa brand benefit? seems they already had dealer/distribution deals in place, does gibson give them more exposure?

·
Premium Member
5,907 Posts
I recall there used to be some Gibson branded amps before...were they made by Gibson or through a partnership?

Im fine with this acquisition, its a sensible one. Fenders had amps all this time, at a full range of pricepoints.

I would like to know the rationale though...ie how does the mesa brand benefit? seems they already had dealer/distribution deals in place, does gibson give them more exposure?
Gibson made excellent amps, in the US, in the 50s-60s. They didn't sell well though. They had some cool Epiphone amps in recent decades.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts