The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the email

NASHVILLE, TN - (January 6, 2021) Gibson, the iconic American instrument brand, is pleased to announce the acquisition of Mesa/Boogie, one of the most respected and prestigious brands in sound and guitar amplification. Mesa/Boogie – the original "Boutique" amplifier company – was founded 51 years ago by Randy Smith, who is responsible for creating the ground-breaking circuits that drive some of the most influential sounds of our time. Randy will join Gibson as Master Designer and Pioneer of Mesa/Boogie and beyond. In his new role, Randy will continue his passion for tube technology and his vision for building hand-crafted, high performance amplifiers, that continue to redefine how we experience sound across Mesa/Boogie and Gibson.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Wow. Also (bass-only related) just heard that Korg now owns Aguilar Amplification.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the near future, it seems as though MB will continue to be business as usual, if I'm reading the language correctly in that release (it is a bit light on detail). Randy looks like he's going to stick around for a while. Once he goes, then it will be interesting to see. At least this time Gibson acquired an amp company and not some sort of "lifestyle" brand...

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Can someone explain MB amps to me?

I understand where Fender amps came from, and how Marshalls evolved out of those but I've never really heard anything about MB's history or the style of amp they are.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I understand where Fender amps came from, and how Marshalls evolved out of those but I've never really heard anything about MB's history or the style of amp they are.
They started out modding Fenders.

There's a pretty decent history on their Wikipedia: Mesa Boogie - Wikipedia

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts

Some of that background is in the OP link as well

·
Premium Member
25,181 Posts
Now, wasn't the urgency of bankruptcy-protection when Henry J. was at the helm a consequence of Gibson acquiring too many businesses? Or am I confusing Gibson with some other megalith?

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts

They started as highly modified, hot-rodded Fender amps. To the point where they shared virtually nothing with the Fender they came from.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now, wasn't the urgency of bankruptcy-protection when Henry J. was at the helm a consequence of Gibson acquiring too many businesses? Or am I confusing Gibson with some other megalith?
I'd say acquiring a successful amp company is a little different than trying to get into electronics and form a "lifestyle brand". If I recall correctly, the acquisition of some of those failing brands was based on HJ expecting them to be revived by the Gibson name.

·
Premium Member
13,181 Posts
I don't give a rat's ass about the value of pre-Gibson Mesa Boogies. This just makes sense, pairing a guitar company and an amplifier company. It is not like the out-in-left-field acquisitions to turn Gibson into a so called sound lifestyle company that Henry J made. Gibson has made very feeble attempts to make and market guitar amps in the past. It will benefit from a merger with a quality amp manufacturer. Even if Randall is 75, this was likely far from an overnight decision. Randall is passionate about amps and his company. I would not be surprised if this was long in the making and he would not agree to this if it wasn't to Mesa' s benefit too.

And I say it again. This is NOT Henry J's Gibson.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I hope this doesn't end up like so many of their other acquisitions did- going nowhere like Valley Arts, Steinberger, Oberheim, Trace Elliot, Tobias, etc, etc. How long before we're seeing cheap solid state amps with the Mesa name on them? Hopefully never but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if in a few years this comes to pass. It's true that this isn't the Gibson of Henry J. but time will tell.

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
I hope this doesn't end up like so many of their other acquisitions did- going nowhere like Valley Arts, Steinberger, Oberheim, Trace Elliot, Tobias, etc, etc. How long before we're seeing cheap solid state amps with the Mesa name on them? Hopefully never but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if in a few years this comes to pass. It's true that this isn't the Gibson of Henry J. but time will tell.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Excerpt from JC Curleigh interviewed by Guitar world on the Mesa acquisition:

What else can we expect from Gibson over the next 18 months?

“Imagine what we can do for this new generation of guitarists. The big teaser is watch this space for the Gibson Experience – it’s more than the guitars, amps and artists. It’s about us all experiencing this together, through Gibson TV, the Gibson Garage and new collaborations.”
That "lifestyle brand" aspiration again?

The link to the full interview:
Gutiar World Magazine

I wonder if Gibson would still allow Mesa to close their office on Fridays.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts