The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been reading that these types of cracks are common but can they be fixed? I want to do a deal but just not sure if it’s worth it.

It’s had the cracks repaired but can they be fixed so it’s not so horrible looking?

22172A3A-115A-4B75-86C7-EEA1FB988AF0.png
AA3A48F2-0295-4072-BB33-1E855741D606.png

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like relics anyway so I’m not too concerned. Just kind of wanted to know if it could be fixed to look a little better and not get any worse.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably yeah dry, low humidity or someone using a little too much force to push the strings pins in. Not sure really.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I’ve been reading that these types of cracks are common but can they be fixed? I want to do a deal but just not sure if it’s worth it.

It’s had the cracks repaired but can they be fixed so it’s not so horrible looking?

View attachment 239458 View attachment 239462
I think you need a new "crack repair guy" They should have also fixed the cosmetic issues. I'd be embarrassed asking for payment for fixing the cracks while leaving the guitar looking like that.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah true, it’s just what I read on the google, pretty common. Is it? I’m not sure that’s why I was asking sort of thing.

I was offered this as a trade and turned it down, no brainer right.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I do not know if and how these actual repairs impair soundboard response.
A well repaired crack following wood grain would leave only a thin hairline and
it should not alter the sound as the soundboard would still move freely.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I’m sure the guitar sounds great, I just didn’t want to do the trade deal. He bought it will 3 cracks, had it for a short time and now there’s 4 cracks. I’d live with it if I could pick it up for $500.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah like I said it would bother me, just wasn’t going to trade a $2000 guitar for it. I’d still like to have it, fix it properly and enjoy it.

P

·
0 Posts
Get a way to film/photo the inside of the guitar under the bridge and towards the back. First charge your phone.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The last time I had some cracks repaired the luthier said she used a suction tool that draws the glue through as it cures leaving barely any hairline marks. Charge like 40 per area cracked or split. . I was very happy.

That looks like the cracks were still wide open when the glue dried. I know it could be fixed, but might be serious labor due to matching the burst.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts