The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See lot's of threads about martin/taylor guitars, others about the Cdn ones like godin, not much about gibsons unless hummingbird or vintage is in the sentence.

Too much value on the name for the price? Feeling is there are just better options? Made overseas now?

Been starting to look around for a planned purchase within the next yr, doing lot's of research and in no rush. This will be a Big purchase for me. Strictly for fingerpicking, mostly 1920's stuff like John Hurt/Willie Brown type style.

Have looked at what I can find here, incl. looking up all the luthiers mentioned in that other thread. Know what I want, something like a OO or OM body, 14 fret, 1.75 nut width, solid wood, spruce top, honduran mahogany/rosewood or similar back and sides. Don't need a pick guard or electronics.

Only thing I've found so far that's pretty close is a gibson: Gibson.com: Gibson Blues King

Thoughts? Other suggestions?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Can't speak to that model in particular but I've found that in many trips to the music store in the last couple years I noticed that Gibson acoustics seem to have had a bump up in quality. A few years back every Gibson acoustic I picked up seemed dull and lifeless. Since about 2017 I've noticed a lot more consistent and pleasant tone coming from the Gibby acoustic lineup. That's my anecdotal evidence. Take it for what you will.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I played one of those little Gibson blues boxes for about 30 seconds at Cosmo and first impression it sounds like the 1930s. Which I’m guessing is what it’s supposed to do. Liked it but not a sound that I need.

With Gibson though, I’ve never played one where I felt like buying it. I usually put them back on the wall real quick.

On the other hand, I played an HD28V a couple of years ago and realized right then that I had to buy it.

Lottsa people like Gibson guitars and I have no doubt that they produce good stuff it’s just that I’ve never been snagged by it so probably it’s just me not a problem with Gibson in general.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I am quite in the same boat. Love that music, read much about it, as well as the players and the guitars they used.
Which did I play ?
On the vintage side I got a 1965 Lg-0 : the nut was some 1 5/8 in. Sold it. Tried Guild F-30 1973 : same problem !
Did not find any Stella (Leadbelly played 12-strings Stella)
Finally fetched a Gibson L-00TV : rare on the market.
Completed my herd with a Gibson L-1 1928 Blues Tribute, not the Robert Johnson series (which is said not so good).

Now generally speaking about Gibson.
It is commonly said that quality suffered these recent years. I personnally can't say.
I have to underline their standard nut width on acoustics appears to be 1,725 in. which ask a little more caution with my left hand : They made notable exceptions in the L series with some 1,75, 1,77 and 1,8 (Keb'Mo). So you have to take care about this.

I have tried for the first time a J-45, a Songwriter and a L-1 Standard at LM last week and was pleased by both ! I could not see what could be bad with anyone of them.

Now what about recent L-1 / L-00 ?
I tried a L-1 Keb'Mo some years ago : was not ready to pay nearby 4k$ for a little and frail looking guitar.
My L-00TV (2014) is a killer. Some compares it to J-45, but from my recent experience, it would be orange vs apple.
The L-00 Standard I tried would have caught me if I did not already own the L-00TV.
I did not have the chance to try a Blues King, which is apparently a killer as well (still comes in gigbag?!) at affordable price. I once tried to get one, but feared to buy the used ones I could see on the web.
My L-1 1928 Blues Tribute is not that a killer but what a look ! Robert Johnson's picture made me buy it !

Finally, I think of the Americana (LG-2 I guess) which I cannot talk about.

Now, you have the Waterloo, modern version of antique Kalamazoo (ancestor of the Gibson Ls) I do not know either. They come in ladder and x-braced versions.

Hope it can help...

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Yeah, the size thing. I don't like my guitars any bigger than 000. Tends to limit Gibsons for me. The smaller ones seem to be variations of a similar theme. And I like my guitars, more often than not, to have cutaways. If there was a Gibson alternative to a Taylor X12ce, that would interest me.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Yeah, the size thing. I don't like my guitars any bigger than 000. Tends to limit Gibsons for me. The smaller ones seem to be variations of a similar theme. And I like my guitars, more often than not, to have cutaways. If there was a Gibson alternative to a Taylor X12ce, that would interest me.
Gibson Acoustic Instruments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love my J-50 Modern Classic. Initially it didn't sound as alive or bright as a typical dreadnought of the Martin style. I like the thicker neck that fills my hand, and it has a raw woody thumpy bass on the low strings, and a tame, warm, and mellow midrange that cuts thru the mix. When in a band, I don't need to EQ as the natural qualities of the top just "fit" right in. It is also a great songwriting guitar for solo work as it supports your vocals. The J-45 is a workhorse as it just works in so many different genres and I agree. I can fingerpick delicately, or strum heavily like Pete Townsend, and anything in between. It has less sustain than a Martin which allows for a more percussive attack. I've been experimenting with various strings and gauges. I like the Martin Retros, Ernieball Earthwoods, and Marin SP Acoustic strings for it. 13 gauges increased volume but in some ways took away from the versatility of fingerstyle. 12's on a Gibson are a good place to be.

And I have been on the prowl for a Martin D18, D-28 etc. and I have really tried to like them so I could justify buying one. I like the D-18 more than the D-28, probably cause of the hog back and sides as the Gibson J-45.

The Gibsons are so different from Martins in terms of sound, scale length, looks, and playability that it will feel and sound very different the first few times for your ear to adjust. In the end, I'm glad I went Gibson over Martin in the beginning as it really fits into so many different genres for me.

Also, try to find a Gibson when Ren Ferguson was in command at Bozeman!

Here's a demo. It's very woody sounding, soft highs, prominent mids, good bass presence but not booming like a Martin. You get a lot more fundamental string and wood coming through in the tone.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fkingsound87%2Fthe-fellowship-of-the-acoustic
https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fkingsound87%2Fwarmest-regards-solo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts