The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,468 Posts
Although id be interested in knowing if theres other variables (expected decline in attendance, overall fewer exhibitors etc), this is pretty interesting news.

·
Registered
470 Posts
In reality, what does attending NAMM, for a vendor such as Gibson, really get you? Not much.

Smaller vendors, who can use the show as a vehicle for showing their products that are not commonly found in retailers across the country, are going to benefit but the big guys...not so much.

·
Premium Member
10,468 Posts
Plain and simple. They can't afford it.
I'm pretty sure they could scrounge up $40-50k to do a show if they wanted to.

tradeshows aren't what they used to be. Anyone remember the big Comdex show in Vegas?
Companies ive worked for, including a fortune 100 company, tend to be scaling back on trade show spending....it just doesn't have a very good ROI any more. You tend to not get a huge payback from them. The problem is, when you stop going to them, the perception is, youre sinking like the titanic. But its a stale format. I went to a different sort of tradeshow in November in my industry. rather than have passive booths and giveaways of junk swag, the organizers set it up in a "speed dating" format so that companies and attendees could select to meet one another for a one-to-one business chat. It was 100x more effective for us than the typical tradeshow, and we decided this is what we want to be participating in going forward.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
If the businesses in question - in this case music products industry - is viable, healthy and growing, there is no reason to not attend as a major player.

Tradeshows are not about the buying public, they are more about showing off to your industry peers and rivals.

Something is amiss.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I was going to say they'll be there next year when Fender has completed buying them out, but Fender has dumped a lot of their 'other' brands so that seems unlikely now.

Maybe Gibson USA will become Gibson and be an off-shore manufacturer?

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
I was going to say they'll be there next year when Fender has completed buying them out, but Fender has dumped a lot of their 'other' brands so that seems unlikely now.

Maybe Gibson USA will become Gibson and be an off-shore manufacturer?
From previous topics, that's my prediction too. I think we'll see a Chinese owned Gibson with guitars being made in both China and the US.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
They are concentrating on the consumer electronics show which demonstrates that Henry is moving full-steam ahead in taking the company in other directions.
Could be that too. Maybe the robo tuners were just the beginning. Robo guitars that play themselves next?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I think you're probably correct but Gibson not at the biggest guitar show is a perception problem as you say.
especially since they want to focus on the Consumer Electronics Show instead...you'd think that with the bad press lately that they'd WANT to show off a little?

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
As a business entity Gibson isn't Heritage, PRS, or Collings, and thought its history may be longer, and more iconic, it's focus seems to be be elsewhere. I don't see that as a good thing (no altruistic values here, just that I think they've watered down their brand too much already), though it may be the only way of maintaining existence at this point. It's not like Gibson can return to its roots.

NAMM or not, I doubt it's going to affect the market at all.

·
Premium Member
10,468 Posts
If the businesses in question - in this case music products industry - is viable, healthy and growing, there is no reason to not attend as a major player.

Tradeshows are not about the buying public, they are more about showing off to your industry peers and rivals.

Something is amiss.
I think companies are being more fiscally responsible than that.
true they aren't about the public because very few direct consumers attend them. its for the industry...distributors, store owners, media etc.
Any company ive worked for looks at the dollars and cents of every trade show...what it costs vs increase in revenues it should bring. Its not just a vanity project.
Gibson is the biggest household name in the business. I don't think NAMM makes any difference to whether a shop will be come a reseller of their gear. Not like theyre going to have any "disruptor" technology to unveil.
Gibson could be in dire straights. I just don't think this is the bellweather of it. Normally when companies are in trouble, the one area they INCREASE spending in is sales and marketing.
when it starts to get hard to find Gibsons in stores because noones carrying them, or you see massive discounts on old stock, then Id say the abandon ship call has been sounded.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I think companies are being more fiscally responsible than that.
I see your point but every trade show I have ever attended was about having a presence in your specific industry and showing off technology and new products. Often with after hours shenanigans. Marketing at it's finest.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I didn't think they did anything with Ovation or Hamer after buying Kaman? Did not know about Guild though.
They bought Guild in the late 90's and sold off the brand a few years ago (I'm not sure exactly when off the top of my head).

As far as I know (and anyone is free to correct me on this) Hamer was dissolved and no longer exists, and Ovation was sold off a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts