The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any Canadian stores that may be getting any of the Gibson “First Standard #8 3096” (or whatever the official model name is)? I’ve tried L&M, Cosmo etc and they’re not getting any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
So, Gibson wants $5,999 for this guitar. If they relic it for you, that is $2,000 more. If you want Slash to sign the relic'd guitar, it will be $4,000 more for a grand total of $11,999. Is that American?

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
Anyone know of any Canadian stores that may be getting any of the Gibson “First Standard #8 3096” (or whatever the official model name is)? I’ve tried L&M, Cosmo etc and they’re not getting any.

If L&M/Yorkville aren't getting any it may be tough to find, as I understand Yorkville is the big distributor for Gibson in Canada. You can call Tyler at Stang in Edmonton, he seems to have a line on some of the exclusive Gibson stuff, maybe he can help.

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
So, Gibson wants $5,999 for this guitar. If they relic it for you, that is $2,000 more. If you want Slash to sign the relic'd guitar, it will be $4,000 more for a grand total of $11,999. Is that American?
So $6k for the guitar, and $6k for useless things that do nothing to improve the guitar at all. If looking at one, I'd go with the $6k, although that's still about 2X more than I would spend on an electric (in CDN and not even US).

Reactions: colchar

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,117 Posts

L&M probably have no intentions of stocking them because it's a pretty niche item and a lot of money to have tied up in a single instrument. I bet if you asked to special order one you could though. Special orders require a 100% non refundable deposit to the best of my knowledge though.

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
I believe they are the only Canadian Gibson distributor.
I won't argue with you on that and I don't know all the fine details but getting a Gibson is possible through other stores. I've seen cooler Gibson stuff at the small boutique and ma&pa stores than I have at L&M, ...sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Yes, every new Gibson across Canada comes in through Yorkville. Even warranty repairs are through Yorkville and not Gibson. One year only in Canada.

@vadsy

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
Yes, every new Gibson across Canada comes in through Yorkville. Even warranty repairs are through Yorkville and not Gibson. One year only in Canada.

@vadsy
Yes I get it and I am aware of that, at no point did I say it other wise. I did say it was worth looking elsewhere for a Gibson.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did find a few available at other stores in Ontario, but strangely enough my local L&M was surprised to find one on their truck one day and gave me a call. It's amazing.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Price points aside, those are DAMN nice looking guitars in both the "Aged" and "Vintage Gloss" versions.

I'm out of the market at those prices though ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Price points aside, those are DAMN nice looking guitars in both the "Aged" and "Vintage Gloss" versions.

I'm out of the market at those prices though ...
Yes...there was some sticker shock. I wasn't planning on getting an aged one, but that's the one that showed up at the L&M. It had a very low serial number I just REALLY liked it. I sold a few pieces of gear that I wasn't too attached to and managed to pull the trigger without being out of pocket too much on this one.

As a side note, the pickguard that came on it was relic'd way to much...looked like someone had lit it on fire at some point and didn't look anything like the 8 3096. When I called Gibson to ask about it, they couldn't have been more accommodating. They had a new one made, someone from Yorkville picked it up at the Custom Shop in Nashville and sent it straight here. Looks much better now.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The kicker for me with the Slash signature models is the whole “copy of a copy” thing. His original LP’s were high quality luthier built copies. Then Gibson came out with Gibson copies of the Derrig luthier built copy. The whole range seems to have been diluted with marketing whenever Gibson needs a cash infusion.

I’d be looking for an original Derrig, but they seem pretty rare now.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Yeah that’s what I thought, Slash’s world famous les Paul was a superb built copy of a les Paul standard. Those copies the luthier had built were thousands back then and are super rare and expensive today if ever found. Now Gibson is putting out a copy of a copy.

I’d still love to have one regardless of price, just don’t think that will happen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts