The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GFS Pickups

Wanted to get some opinion on these pickups , anybody try them ??

:rockon:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have installed a few pairs of these pickups and find them an awesome value for the buck. I installed the Retrotrons and they are a great sounding pup, very close to the Filtertron sound & the Dream 180's in a 335 type Tokai with awesome results. Also installed the crunchy pafs in a SG type and fat pafs in a LP, both sounded great. The latest were a pair of lipstick tube HB's and I was very happy with the outcome. In single coil mode they do sound close to the old danelectro tubes and in HB mode they sound a whole lot fatter. Again great value for the dollar, how can you lose....

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have installed a few pairs of these pickups and find them an awesome value for the buck. I installed the Retrotrons and they are a great sounding pup, very close to the Filtertron sound & the Dream 180's in a 335 type Tokai with awesome results. Also installed the crunchy pafs in a SG type and fat pafs in a LP, both sounded great. The latest were a pair of lipstick tube HB's and I was very happy with the outcome. In single coil mode they do sound close to the old danelectro tubes and in HB mode they sound a whole lot fatter. Again great value for the dollar, how can you lose....
How did you find ordering them from GuitatFetish if thats were you got them
Thx larry

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
No problem ordering them direct, so far no extra's at the border either. Shipping is reasonable fast, approx a week. I have ordered a fair bit from them and customer service has been great.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem ordering them direct, so far no extra's at the border either. Shipping is reasonable fast, approx a week. I have ordered a fair bit from them and customer service has been great.
Thx for quick answer Larry

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I'm still a bit ticked off with GFS. I bought one of their Tele bridge pickups - a dual blade pickup similar to a Barden. On the early models, the blade wasn't made wide enough to reach all the way to the high E string, so the volume of the high E was significantly reduced - enough to make the pickup useless. They acknowledged this in newer versions of the pickup, but didnt bother to reimburse of those of us who had the earlier useless versions. Probably just sour grapes on my part but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

But, other than the useless pickup part, everything else about the transaction was good.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've got a Fat Paf and a set of the boutique vintage strat pickups, and they have been great. Really good sounding pickups, you can't beat the price, Jeff is a good guy to deal with and very fast shipping and I haven't been nailed at the border either.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got a Fat Paf and a set of the boutique vintage strat pickups, and they have been great. Really good sounding pickups, you can't beat the price, Jeff is a good guy to deal with and very fast shipping and I haven't been nailed at the border either.
what shipping did you take ??
It asks when ordering.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Fast shipping especially to Canada.. they know how to get stuff across the border. My lil killer pickups i found sucked though.. people rave about them and maybe i messed something up but i think the neck is muddy and the bridge is far to thin... almost like a wah pressed down. Atleast they are quiet...

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have a Lil killer and it's ok. Better than the pickup it replaced but nothing great. I also have a set of the Mean 90's. Those pickups are great. I would buy them again.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Fast shipping especially to Canada.. they know how to get stuff across the border. My lil killer pickups i found sucked though.. people rave about them and maybe i messed something up but i think the neck is muddy and the bridge is far to thin... almost like a wah pressed down. Atleast they are quiet...

When I first got the Dream 180's and installed them they left me wondering whay all the fuss was about... they didn't impress me at all. Then after further investigation I found something funky going on with my pickup selector. I replaced the selector switch and the next time I plugged it in WOW what a difference, they totally blew me away. They fit the description on the website. You might want to check your wiring and components out to see if there is a problem.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
what shipping did you take ??
It asks when ordering.
I bought them off him from an ebay auction, the strat set cost me 8 or 9 bucks via mail and the fat paf cost me somewhere around the same. Strangely enough, they seem to come faster than anything else I have mailed up. I plan on buying some more GFS pickups. I just stuck a set of the lil'killers in a buddy strat and they sound really good. Very comparable to the duncan hotrails in one of his other strats.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...the good news is their pricing, which allows for experimentation without selling the farm.

but, i think once you have discovered the style and flavour you prefer, you're going to want to spend a bit more for some real quality.

no question they give great "bang for your buck", though.

i bought a set of three dual rails (li'l puncher neck/bridge, li'l killer middle) for a nashville style tele. tried them and sold them - just way too dark and muddy for my tastes.

-dh

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah, my point exactly on the neck pu's, I also found mine dark and muddy. I think it might depend on the body. With an ASH body, I just don't dig them.. The bridge being a bit thin might be because of the value cap I used but definitely, I noticed the muddiness.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Haven't tried the single coils but I do like what they offer in HB and Retro's.
I had one guitar that I had picked up cheap and was modding it and no matter what pickup you put in it it didn't sound good. I know it was the guitar because when I put the pups in a different one they came alive. As has been said in this post they are a good bang for the buck but I'm sure if a/b'd against lollars or wcr's there would be a difference.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just order a neck pup , Vintage 59" Nickel Classic Alnico PAF- Humbucker H55

just have to see how it's sounds, got some other smaller parts to finish my partscastor project , thx for input.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The hot paf I have in the bridge is very comparable to my Duncan JB. In some ways it is nicer as it doesn't get as muddy when the gain goes up.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ripper, I am going to be putting together an ultimate 80's guitar hero super strat for myself..was thinking of the JB in bridge because I always was a huge Warren Demartinni fan.. is the detail good with that pickup? Is it too trebly at all in some circumstances?

·
Registered
83 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought myself an Epi LP Junior, which came with a single weak, dark-sounding humbucker. So, since I wanted a Gibby LP Jr "on the cheap", I went ahead and ordered GFS's Dream 90, which is a P-90 that fits into a bucker space. It changed my guitar's character immediately. It's now a nasty little bugger, full of spit and vinegar, perfect for those heavily-driven electric overdrive blues that I love so much.

In a word, GFS makes great pickups for not a whole lot of money. I recommend them.:smile:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts