The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here use any GFS pickups? I've heard some good things about them and was considering trying a set of thier boutique strat pickups. I'm curious to see if they are as good as what I have been reading.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Ripper said:
Anyone here use any GFS pickups? I've heard some good things about them and was considering trying a set of thier boutique strat pickups. I'm curious to see if they are as good as what I have been reading.
...i have a couple, which are for sale. one is a lil puncher tele bridge, a dual-rail single coil size humbucker. it works well but, like many humbuckers, is just too muddy for my taste. that said, they are good value for the dollar, and an easy company to deal with. they will go the extra mile to make sure you are satisfied. you can, i believe, return them if you're not happy with them.

i ordered three pickups and the total cost was $90 including all taxes, shipping etc.

-dh

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you think those lil killers compare to their duncan hotrails counter parts? I'm curious about those too, as I have an project strat I've thought about sticking hot rails into for hard rock and older metal useage.

I've heard good things about GFS and for the price I guess a person certainly can't go wrong trying them out. What are the ones you have for sale?

I'm not stuck on the brand name thing. I bought a pair of Mighty Mite Motherbuckers last year on a lark. Wow, they turned out to be great pickups and I think landed at my doorstep the pair cost me $60.00

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I bought some GFS PAF's a year and half ago or so for an OLP Axis copy I had. They were great sounding pickups. If I ever have a project guitar I'd seriously consider getting some of them again.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I bought a GFS double coil Pro-tubes pickup and put it in an old mahogany guitar I made years ago, but I haven't had time to wire it up yet-it is basically a dual coil (singles are also available) lipstick pickup that fits in a humbucker slot and I am really interested in what it will sound like-should get off my duff and get it going, shouldn't I?
-Mikey

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Spikezone said:
I bought a GFS double coil Pro-tubes pickup and put it in an old mahogany guitar I made years ago, but I haven't had time to wire it up yet-it is basically a dual coil (singles are also available) lipstick pickup that fits in a humbucker slot and I am really interested in what it will sound like-should get off my duff and get it going, shouldn't I?
-Mikey
Yes please get at it....:D I looked at these and wondered what they would sound like....

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have bought and installed GFS pickups in 5 of my guitars. What does that tell you?

I started out buying a Crunchy PAF for the neck position of my Jackson Rhoads Custom. It sounded so great, and complimented the Seymour Duncan SH13 in the bridge position, that I bought another one for the neck position of my Xaviere XV500. It has a Duncan Custom in the bridge, and they go really well together. Finally I decided it was time to try putting a matching neck/bridge set in something. I had just picked up a NOS Aria Pro Custom X from Japan, and the stock pickups were kinda weak sounding, so I ordered a set of Crunchy PAFs for it. The bridge pickup is even more killer than the neck. It actually has a similar output and sound to a Duncan Custom. I liked them so much, I put another matching set in another guitar. I also used a couple of overwound GFS single coils in a Strat I built with a Duncan Custom in the bridge.

Someone also mentioned the Mighty Mite Motherbuckers. I have a set of those in another guitar, and they also sound fantastic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts