The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My wife and I are involved in Big Brothers/Sisters and hang out with our 13 year old little sister.
I would like to get her interested in playing the guitar. She does some music at school but has not shown any interest in my guitars.
I picked up a used Alvarez the other day I thought I would give to her if she was interested. Any tips on getting her started?

L

·
0 Posts
has not shown any interest in my guitars
Sit down and watch concert DVD's of female rockers with her?
It may inspire her .. or not.

A elementary schoolmate of mine grew up in a family of 7 that all played some instrument, except him.
He said that he couldn't stand the noise and never had any wish to learn.

Lead a horse to water thing.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I think you should hold off she may have other interests that may get her started with music and may feel pressured to accept or obligated to accept something she may not be interested in it's you who want to get her started and you maybe not looking at what happens with her if she can't or doesn't really want to.
I get it and think getting a teen started is a great idea but without knowing all the circumstances it maybe not right for her if she's not shown any interest in your guitars. You can lead a horse to the water but you can't make him drink and would be the same for a teen. ship

·
Premium Member
17,162 Posts
If she doesnt like guitar, that's fine. That said i would see if theres some other type of art she enjoys (visual, literature etc) and encourage that.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
My elder son could stand electric broom noise, while my second son would cry under heavy noise : The first showed no real interest in music while the second rapidly got guitar lead (I was blown away !) as a teenager. He had only once touched one of mine as I remember... and I got him an electric with an amp.

Did the girl ever casually hear you play a simple melody or "yell" on easy chords ? ;-)
A six string may not be appealing... or a wall of great axes can seem intimidating...
(I could ask questions about them but I would never put my hands on someone's pieces he crafted with his heart.)
Maybe a nice uke... (tuned like the four first guitars string in 5th or 7th frets of the standard guitar tuning)
or a Merlin which always sounds right.

So yes, what is she interested in ?

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Hi all,
My wife and I are involved in Big Brothers/Sisters and hang out with our 13 year old little sister.
I would like to get her interested in playing the guitar. She does some music at school but has not shown any interest in my guitars.
I picked up a used Alvarez the other day I thought I would give to her if she was interested. Any tips on getting her started?
Wonderfull story and congrats for getting involved in someones life.This could make all the difference in the world. We are also in a similar situation although ours are a 12 year old boy and his 15 year old sister, both Syrian refugees. Both are really into signing. I have had both of them on stage 3 times now to sing some songs. Its a wonderful thing to see them perform. My suggestions are get her to pick the songs she likes and teach her the chords and then if you can get her to perform at an open mike that would be awesome. I just picked up a used guitar for the 12 year old yesterday and he wants to learn how to play so i make time with him once a week to practice. Best of luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
3,279 Posts
As a kid I had no interest is learning guitar until a neighbour gave me her son's old one. Mind you she wasn't out of pocket, just cleaning house.

You may want to talk to her parent/guardian and talk about the possibility of lessons with a proper instructor. Sometimes learning a few chords isn't the place to start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts