The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'd like to know too.

Yes it is hard to find refinishing supplies....especially when companies like Stew Mac and other suppliers wont ship a lot of it to Canada. I have seen clear aerosol lacquer at Home Depot but other than that zilch. Some bodyshops will paint guitar bodies but if you want to do it yourself....without having to buy a compressor and expensive autobody paint.......it is hard.
Does anybody Know??
Ray

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hey fella's...

I am a professional woodworker/custom furniture maker by trade. I build guitars for fun - but making and finishing furniture is my living. The best places to get industrial quality finishing products (like lacquers, various stains, selaers, etc) are not the home depot type shops but the places that supply guys like me. You should look up finishing supply companies (for instance, John E. Goudey in Toronto) that manufacture the stuff, tell them what you want to do with it and let them guide you. Personally, I use a post catalyzed acid cure lacquer, and its tough as a polyurethane, applies as easily as a lacquer but is kind of nasty stuff. Not something you want to spray in the house. Any industrial type finish (ala automotive urethanes for example, or the stuff I am talking about) are meant to be sprayed in a proper paint booth with protective equipment so you dont harm you lungs... safety stuff aside, I suggest you try either a commercial distributer, or check out some furniture shops (if there are around where you live) and see what they use, and if they will sell some. I do, but only to guys I know know how to properly use it. Also, ALL this stuff is hazardous materials and will not be able to go by purolator, canada post, etc. Only private couriers or transport companies will touch the stuff.

Hope that helps some...

AJC

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey ajcoholic,

Have you tried the finishing products from Lee Valley? I'm curious in particular about their "French polish" which comes pre-mixed and is supoosedly easier to apply than "real" french polish...

In Montreal, a good place to get finishing supplies is Langevin and Forest on Pie-IX boulevard. They also have a good selection on exotic woods and even luthier-grade tonewoods.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The only thing I get from Lee Valley in regards to finishing is Tung Oil for cutting boards.. :) I dont use french polish and cant comment on that stuff, sorry!

I do know Lee Valley (who I deal with mostly for tools and some hardware) is a top notch outfit and offer 3 month return, no quesations asked if their products dont fulfill your needs.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Lee Valley sells Deft Brushing Lacquer as well as the same product in aerosol cans. It's a good product but you will have to let it cure or three weeks or so before you can wetsand & buff it.;

1 - 6 of 6 Posts