The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a chance to go to the Toronto show last Friday night at the BMO stadium? We did. It was fantastic! Phil Collins is a funny guy and a great entertainer. I don't mind the new stuff but I prefer the older material. I didn't know what to expect really but they did a great mix of songs spanning from the very old to the very new.

Daryl Stuemer is a great guitarist. If you get a chance to catch a show on this tour, go for it!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I didn't make the show. There sure was a lot of buzz around T.O. leading up to the Fri night gig.
The review in the Tor Sun was less than glowing, but Jane Stevenson who wrote it says she got beer dumped on her from above. I think that moment "dampened" her take on everything. Her gripe was that most of the guys in the band were rather unanimated, a contrast to the huge and impressive video backdrop "Mike Rutherford could have been smoking a pipe, reading the paper".

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gunny, at the beginning of the show I felt that the guys were rather unanimated. Tony Banks didn't look at the camera once throughout the whole show. Is he shy or does he need to focus that much? He's no Rick Wakeman from Yes with both hands going over keyboards all around him. Most of the times he plays a one-hand melody and he'd have plenty of time to look up and smile a little. Especially when his mugshot is blown up on the huge screens. But that's who he is and his sound and melodies are an integral part of the music of Genesis.

Phil is the one that gets the crowd going. And as the night went on, the energy on stage built up quite a bit (relatively speaking) and combined with the familiarity of the songs (and the mix of old and new), there was something for everybody and the crowd was dancing and having a great time.

Jane Stevenson in her article says that "It didn't help the show's pacing that the climax came early during Turn It On Again, No Son Of Mine and Land Of Confusion, in the first half-hour of the marathon..". Something had obviously "dampened" her experience or that she does not know Genesis that much because I have to tell you that for me the climax happened about 3/4 of the way with songs like Firth of Fifth / I Know What I Like / Mama and Ripples and again a little later with the drum thing between Chester and Phil leading into Los Endos. Daryl Stuermer alternated from bass to guitar and man, he does a great job of Hackett's guitar lines and solos and he has amazing tones. Again, I was pleasantly surprised and I recommend it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts