The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everyone uses for insurance in their gear? I just got through getting all my stuff registered with melloche monnex yesterday, but the annual cost would be enough to buy a les Paul a year. I’m wondering if anyone has recommendations for insurers.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,101 Posts
I was wondering what everyone uses for insurance in their gear? I just got through getting all my stuff registered with melloche monnex yesterday, but the annual cost would be enough to buy a les Paul a year. I’m wondering if anyone has recommendations for insurers.
Specialty insurance is always expensive unfortunately. It's usually because you're insuring something people like to steal.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
A few years ago, i was a member of the local musicians union and they offered great rates, way better than private insurance comp.

·
Premium Member
10,925 Posts
Can't give you actual figures as I leave the money shit up to Mrs. Mooh, Keeper Of The Treasury. However, I have an itemized rider on my home owners policy as well as a business policy. Since it's the same insurer with cars/trailer, home, and business, it's supposedly a bit cheaper. Economical Insurance Company.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
As I understand it, when it's in my house, it's covered by my house insurance, but as soon as I take it to a gig I need a rider to have it covered. I looked into the cost, and decided I would take my chances.
Ditto. Even in my garage it's all covered by "contents". Cheap gear only to gigs, tho.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Same here about not needing a rider. My tools and music gear are “personal use”, so fully covered under my home policy.
I don’t have more than $5k in “used” value invested, and I have full replacement value coverage so I am not really too concerned. Especially because most of my gear isn’t sought after, afraid to lose it kind of stuff with the exception of one with high sentimental value. It’s not something a thief would want anyway.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Same here about not needing a rider. My tools and music gear are “personal use”, so fully covered under my home policy.
Apparently if you don’t get paid for playing music, it should all be covered no matter where you are. However, if you ever get paid for playing music, then that is no longer covered and you need to get commercial coverage or something from a musician’s union mentioned above. Although I’m not an expert.

The best thing you could do is talk to an insurance broker. If you are speaking with a representative directly from an insurance company like Melloche Monnex, they can only tell you about their products. A broker can give options from a variety of companies and can often be more informed about the actual requirements.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys, I think my situation could be a bit unique as I have renters insurance, and I have heard due to the value of my gear, it would only normally get covered up to a select dollar value. I will do some more clarification with them next week, and will call around a bit.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Recently changed insurance company and asked about my guitars : my personal belonging are insured in the house and also while I take them in my car.

·
Registered
850 Posts
All my insurance is with State Farm. I have a separate policy on my guitars. Check out your contents insurance guys. My insurance policy has a maximum payout on certain things that I didn't even realize until we moved and bought a new house. The way it was explained to me was that my policy was probably 15 years outdated so I was paying insurance on what I had in the old house 15 years ago. Think about what you have acquired over the last 15 years that has value that your insurance company has no idea you have. Unless they know everything they will limit your payout if something happens. Anybody could say they had a 59 Les Paul in their house after a fire that destroys everything. They will not payout a claim unless they know for a fact that you actually did have a 59 Les Paul. Its important to go over your insurance policy every couple years and update what needs to be updated.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I was fine with renters insurance when my custom guitar and pedal board were stolen from my vehicle. I believe I was with TD insurance at the time.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts