The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was cleaning some gunk off the faceplate of an old amp today

pulled the chassis out, removed knobs and loosened all the jack so the faceplate was easy to get to 100%

worked my way through windex, alcohol, lighter fluid, then goof-off, with no results

damn....ok well there is a jug of gasoline over there by the lawn mower

VERY CAREFULLY I poured a little bit out, so it would run down the length of the faceplate

well you know what happened next....

Curse St Murphy and his infernal law: about a pint splurged out the nozzle, and all over the amp chassis

the wiring, OT and PT got a nice splash

I wiped away as much as I could, and let it air out with the nice sunny weather + wind ( hopefully ) evaporating the gas

I am worried it may have dissolved some of the binder material/glue in the transformers?

obviously I have not fired it up...no pun intended. I'll give it a full 24 hours

anything else I should watch for?

thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also sprayed contact cleaner/lube into the back of all the pots as well, afterwards
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,015 Posts
Ouch. There's lots of stuff in gasoline that isn't a cleaning compound, I think.

For future consideration, when I was doing component level repairs and 99% isopropyl wouldn't remove something, we stepped up to trichloroethylene. I think if that didn't work, we just replaced the part.

Trichloroethylene - Wikipedia
 
  • Like
Reactions: bolero

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,436 Posts
.....obviously I have not fired it up...no pun intended.
I fully understand how serious, frustrating and anxiety-provoking your situation must be....and that it is not funny at all.

However, I laughed at the pun that was not intended just the same....Sorry!

I hope one of the amp techs will see this and advise you.

I would suggest putting "Please Help" in your thread title somewhere....you might get more responses.

Good Luck with solving this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,560 Posts
In our company, we use Goof-Off fairly often. I spilled a bunch of red paint on a light coloured door mat one time and Goof-Off removed it all. I'm surprised it didn't do the job for you. Perhaps you didn't use enough of it?

Regardless, I hope you got it clean and there are no negative repercussions from the spill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks...I will find out this afternoon, when I try using it

pretty sure gas fumes will have all evaporated, just worried about any residue. and whether the transformers got funked up.

the OT was exposed with no cover, PT had a cover but there was a hole into all the innards & wiring

" wow, that amp sounds explosive! "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps we should all take this as a "learning moment".
yes, in 20/20: I should have poured the gas into acup, and used a toothbrush or something to scrub!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,015 Posts
Hey, if it sounds better, quickly delete this thread and start offering a service to improve any amp's tonez? Many things, from post-it notes to magnetic tape recording, having been discovered by a strange, unexpected accident.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bolero

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,904 Posts
I think you will be fine. It should all evaporate, even cloth insulated wire, otherwise I'm sure I would have set my pants on fire many times. :D
I think you will have tipped out any excess before it had a chance to dissolve any transformer varnish. The rest should evaporate as long as it wasn't soaking in it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,362 Posts
Love it when Blackmore turns the guitar around & is strumming the bare wood (4:55)


Sent from my "other" other brain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,560 Posts
yes, in 20/20: I should have poured the gas into a cup, and used a toothbrush or something to scrub!!
Not anywhere close as having a negative impact but if it makes you feel better, I do the same thing almost every time I fill the snowblower and lawnmower.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bolero
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
You are supposed to get a big plastic container with a sealed lid. Fill the container with with rice, and bury the amp in the rice so it is completely covered. Seal the container. Wait 2 days.



+







Haha just kidding.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top