The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where does it end?....anyone content with their current gear and do not foresee buying more, theft/broken replacements excluded. I may be kidding myself but I seem to be gassing less these days...on gear, and checking out other aspects like actually playing some guitar:tongue: .....

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was very careful about the pedals and guitars that I bought and am consequently very content with my gear. Now, if I can get that darn Mighty Mouse pedal working I'll be totally set.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Okay. Here it is. I can't stand it anymore. Call me an ignoramous, idiot, whatever you want but: what the *&$% does GAS mean!!!!!! I have to know!! I was hoping to figure it out but it didn't happen. Helphttp://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/images/smilies/confused-smiley-010.gif
:confused-smiley-010

·
Registered
635 Posts
Guitar or Gear Acquisition Syndrome. You're never satisfied with what you have. No matter how great sounding your gear is you feel irrational, borderline uncontrollable urges to buy different stuff.

Kind of like the music version of the grass always being greener on the other side of the fence.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Thank you. I knew I was sick and that's exactly what I have. GAS! I think I spend more time researching and acquiring gear than I do practicing/playing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I haven't bought any new gear in over a year. I never get that irrational urge to buy gear just to have it anymore. Its great.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hoser said:
I haven't bought any new gear in over a year. I never get that irrational urge to buy gear just to have it anymore. Its great.
good to know there is hope out there :D :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i spend roughly five grand a year, although most of that is covered off by gig earnings. most of my purchases these days are good ones but, like most of you, i learned the hard way.

one thing i have gotten in the habit of doing is NOT selling gear that i don't use, although i got rid of a set of bill lawrence pickups last year that i wish i had kept.

prices for used gear appear to have stabilized somewhat. this seems to be a good time, for example, to pick up an american made strat.

-dh

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The only way I know how to cure gas is stop playing guitar altogether. I stopped for 16 years and had no interest in guitars at all. I got back into it 2 years ago and the GAS started up big time. The good news is I have finally stopped gasing for pedals......I am extremely happy with what I have now and its lasted about 8 months now! I'm gassing for an 18 watter right now and I still need a few more guitars.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I try to budget my gear spending, always seem to get over that budget though.

When I get my Les Paul back with the braz board installed, and since I finally scored the Hammond I've been looking for, I think I'm done for this year. And I think I am finally in the gear position I want to be in, so I don't expect to be looking for anything else for a long time.

The only item I'd been searching for was an old Hammond console (B3/C3/A100), but then the B-Board opportunity came up, and that caused instant GAS. So you never know when you're going to be afflicted, and there is only one cure.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
My budget is limited to my Paypal account. A few years ago I gathered up a whole bunch of (non-musical) stuff I never used and junk I've been dragging around with me for years and auctioned it off on Ebay. Made about $3500 and that's what I've been using to support my GAS. I buy and use for a bit. If I like it I keep it and if I don't it gets auctioned off. I'm running low on funds now since I have a tendency to keep things. lol All I need now is a great low watt amp and maybe a couple more guitars. Oh yeah, and some new pick-ups for my strat...and maybe new pick-ups for my hollow body...Is there a cure??

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
sadly, the only cure is actually buying the items.

·
Premium Member
10,937 Posts
Hi, my name's Mike and I've got GAS....

The cure, btw, isn't very good for the music economy.

Peace, Mooh (who's gassing for another mandolin).

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm pretty content but when I bring in something I like it usually ends up mine. For the most part though I like to try and create as much GAS as possible.....:rockon:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
JSD's Guitar Shack said:
I'm pretty content but when I bring in something I like it usually ends up mine. For the most part though I like to try and create as much GAS as possible.....:rockon:

At least most of your gas is at wholesale...he he he:tongue:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been gassin' for pickups lately :eek:
I just ordered a GFS humbucker for my Kramer :rockon2:
I got looking at the guitars at JSD's Guitar Shack too. That's gonna take some sweettalkin' with superintendant of the financial dept. though !!!!! :bow:

Mark

·
Premium Member
13,023 Posts
ne1roc said:
The only way I know how to cure gas is stop playing guitar altogether. I stopped for 16 years and had no interest in guitars at all. I got back into it 2 years ago and the GAS started up big time. The good news is I have finally stopped gasing for pedals......I am extremely happy with what I have now and its lasted about 8 months now! I'm gassing for an 18 watter right now and I still need a few more guitars.
I played for 10 years, then quit for 30 and started again 2 years. I never suffered from G.A.S. during that first 10 years, not once. Well, once - I bought an SG Jr. I saw at Richmond's Trading Post in Toronto. I had to have it.

Now it comes and goes, and comes again. I blame the internet and forums like this and the Gear Page for this insidious, but glorious addiction.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I purchased an Epi vintage G400 2-3yrs ago, and my Agile strat with tex-mex pups 1.5yrs (tuned to Eb), and I've had my acoustic since I strated playing 7-8yrs ago (tuned to D... and it sounds soooo amazing tuned that low). Those are, and have been my only guitars. And I only have 2 amps, a 40w traynor and my moded Blues Jr.

I couldn't be happier with my current set-up and wouldn't change a thing. The only thing I gas for are FX... but even then it's all DIY, built by me.

I can't understand what goes through the mind of these people with over 5-6 guitars that aren't "rockstars" so to speak. If you can't be happy with 5 or less guitars, you won't be happy with any guitar. I'd rather just save my money for things I need, rather than want.

·
Premium Member
13,023 Posts
NoTSoAgILe said:
I can't understand what goes through the mind of these people with over 5-6 guitars that aren't "rockstars" so to speak. If you can't be happy with 5 or less guitars, you won't be happy with any guitar. I'd rather just save my money for things I need, rather than want.
You, my friend, are in that small minority,... immune. Just like those people who can smoke cigarettes socially on the weekend and not have a craving all week. It is an addiction - and you cannot get addicted.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts