The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nine said:
Gas is always pricey out east (consistently at least 10 cents more/litre than in Ontario). It's just one of the annoying things that you have to put up with to live out there.
That's funny because Calgary is the same way. Southern Calgary is always 5 cents cheaper than everywhere else.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
at night, gas is always about 75cents/L here. During the day it's in the mid-80s

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Coustfan'01 said:
Seriously ? Is there a reason for that ?
i dunno.. people dont buy gas at night? but i guess the gas stations can still say that the average gas price is 80.. Im not really complaining, cuz i get off work at 10, and thats when gas is the cheapest.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
This is a blip. They will go up to where they were and beyond. At least that is my opinion.

Who knows what makes gas prices go up and down. Cold weather, hot weather, war, peace, OPEC nations agreeing to increase production, OPEC nations agreeing to cut production, black boxers, white briefs. It's not like anything else. I pass a number of stations at a certain time of day, gas is one price. Then two hours later, it's gone up. Then at night it goes down past where it was in the morning. All the same batch of gas in their tank, in the ground. No new delivery of gas. Just the same gas in the ground going from .88¢ to .92¢ to .82¢.

Actually it is like something else....Parking lots in downtown Toronto. Most days it might be $7 then there is some event and it's $20 then at night it might go down to $5. But at least there is a logic to their gouging. With gas it's everything and nothing that makes prices fluctuate. It comes down to greed. I've paid as much as $1.39/ litre for premium gas earlier this year. I've paid as little as .82¢ for premium gas in the past couple of months, and the last time I filled up it was .99¢ for premium. Who knows. But my bet is on the prospect of us paying $3/ litre soon. Why not, they do in Britan.

·
Registered
635 Posts
david henman said:
...my theory: good old-fashioned greed.

-dh
If it was as simple as that, gas would just keep going up.

I think it has more to do with people in the industry and stock market not really knowing what the hell they're doing. And why should they? Things change on a daily or hourly basis at some points. There's no manual. So it's just a crazy free-for-all of either trying to make more money or, alternately, covering your ass. Heh heh.

There's no big conspiracy- there never is. Groups of people just can't get that together on things that big. There are too many interests involved.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
In Peterborough it is routine that gas goes up Wed nite and comes back down on Sun nite. They say it's supply and demand factoring, more people drive on weekends so there is a bigger market.... Got to make sure you fill up either Mon or Tues. In Bancroft the prices will remain the same for weeks at a time. Cheaper or just as cheap to get gas in Bancroft from Wed to Sun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok here's the actual reason gas fluctuates I haul gas for a major carrier in Ontario and deliver to Esso,Petro Canada and Shell. First off the price you look at will change constantly sometimes during the day and night for various reasons. The first reason is competition, all the main distribution terminals are connected to their stations via sattelite. The head offices survey each area and have their reps and stations inform them of the other prices in the area and they adjust accordingly. But you say why is the gas 76.c in Scarborough and 84.c in North York when the terminal distribution is right there at Finch and Keel the fuel only moves 200 feet across the street? Well some stations are corporate and some are private even though it may be across the street if its private they will pay a surcharge. Here's another issue the station operator has to call in his order before the tank runneth dry. This is really the main issue here's why. Not all stations have the same number or size tanks meaning some stations can hold 50,000ltr and some can hold up to three times that. In fact I do one station that can hold 300,000 ltr. The average delivery truck holds 55to 60,000 ltr, and remember the station needs three types of fuel, regular,premium,diesel(mid grade is a mix of reg. and prem. done at the pumps). Most times the truck has to carry all three so it depends on the volume of the station and what they sell most. Then its availability of the trucks to get the delivery done. Ex. Shell station has 40000 reg left but can hold 100,000 he watches Petro Canada drop his price 3c a litre and so now he has to drop his. His gas station all of a sudden fills with cars and he goes through 15000ltr in 1hour...OMG he sais I need more he calls and the terminal sais we'll try but maybe we can't get you anything there for 6or7 hours. Damm he sais and runs his fuel down to 10000ltr and then has to raise the price back up so he can stay running or he wont sell any goodies in his store, and trust me thats were the money is...NOT IN SELLING GAS. Two ways to do business in the retail gas industry either sell volume or sell merchandise. Thats why you see these superstations now that look like a grocery store. There are so many variables in this overly competitive industry all I can say is happy hunting I'm overly versed in this industry and I'm still looking for cheap gas around town, its a crap shoot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts