The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this several months ago and posted it in the Garnet-Traynor thread but since it was shitty outside today, decided to wash and document this baby.

Warning !!! Pic intensive post !!!

These were the pics from the seller:

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
These are great. I just wish Gar hadn't been so hot for that short but deep head layout (it really annoys me; won't sit nice on most of my cabs) and did these in the same chassis size as the Sessionman. Nicer iron that I have ever seen in a Garnet, even though still Hammond.

... now when you say wash, whaddaya use? Looks like you got that real shiny. My old Sunn is fillthy and I can't get it clean... I tried a bunch of things but I think I need to escalate to toothbrush ( rags aren't cutting it; doesn't get into the tolex texture).

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Wait - 3 power tubes (6CA7s, I assume)? And I just took my Garnet book back to the studio, dammit. Good thing it's a jam night. ... actually I bet it's driving the Tape Out.

Also, I'm happy for you, but Russian tubes wouldn't put a smile on my face. ;P

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... now when you say wash, whaddaya use. Looks like you got that real shiny. My old Sunn is fillthy and I can't get it clean... I tried a bunch of things but I think I need to escalate to toothbrush ( rags aren't cutting it; doesn't get into the tolex texture).
Big handle scrubbing brush the size of a fist... scrub in circles to get into the tolex. Reg dish soap, rinse with a rag, do the plates and knobs with a rag...

Like to clean my gear to keep nice and all...

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
a 6H8C tube is used with 2 EL34 power tubes...
Ah, just as EL34 = 6CA7, 6H8C = 6SN7, which is a dual triode preamp tube, medium mu like a 12AU7, but octal base with a shared filament supply vs miniature 9 pin. Probably the phase splitter and driver.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah, just as EL34 = 6CA7, 6H8C = 6SN7, which is a dual triode preamp tube, medium mu like a 12AU7, but octal base with a shared filament supply vs miniature 9 pin. Probably the phase splitter and driver.
Read that the 6H8C = 6SN7 is for the sound fountain ! o_O

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, for the cleaning... younger, I used to use Armorall to keep my amps shinny and looking new.... I gave up on that and just try to keep them clean, nicotine free and dust free.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
I dunno; I thought the sound fountain was just multi-pole switches lifting/inserting grounds or caps/resistors (or bypass jumpers thereof) to change the LCR filter values (a la Ampeg rocker switches and the slider switches on Sunn amps). Some of them got pretty fancy and used the negative feedback loop. This is the BTO power section with a 6SN7 as the phase splitter:

http://www.lynx.net/~jc/BTOpwr.gif

And here's the Pro preamp with the Sound Fountain detailed:

https://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/6...bass_190_stinger_fuzz_pre_schematic.pdf_1.png

and here drawn in circuit vs detailed off to the side:

https://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/63463243/23432455/garnet/garnet_lb190b_lb260d_schematic.pdf_1.png

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the Schems but this is the Pro vocal 190 with no tremolo and no stinger... so why the sound fountain or the added tube ??? :confused:

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
It's the phase inverter and considered part of the power amp, like Granny mentioned.
Just like this, but with only 2 power tubes for the 190 version. I guess in this particular case, we would more accurately call it a driver as the phase inversion is done by the interstage transformer. Gar later quit using the transformer and went to a more common 12AX7 based phase inverter in most of his designs.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's the phase inverter and considered part of the power amp, like Granny mentioned.
Just like this, but with only 2 power tubes for the 190 version. I guess in this particular case, we would more accurately call it a driver as the phase inversion is done by the interstage transformer. Gar later quit using the transformer and went to a more common 12AX7 based phase inverter in most of his designs.
Thanks,

Im still learning... Im not as advanced as I would like on amps. Its really time for me to get Gar s book to understand his amps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts