The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Go for it. Very good quality for an offshore guitar & the same pickups that G&L put in the USA models.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
These come up on MF quite often for sale prices in the $300.00 USD ($400.00 CDN) for new. I think you can do better on that price. I would wait and snag one from MF and have it shipped to northern VA and go over and pick it up. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
These come up on MF quite often for sale prices in the $300.00 USD ($400.00 CDN) for new. I think you can do better on that price. I would wait and snag one from MF and have it shipped to northern VA and go over and pick it up. My 2 cents.
Plus gas, fees at the border (HST at the bare minimim) and the difficulty of importing a guitar with a rosewood fretboard due to the CITES regulations - - unless you were recommending that the OP to smuggle it in?

Also consider the fact that you can't play the guitar before buying it to make sure if it's a good one or not. G&L's quality is quite consistent but this applies to a guitar at any price point.

Stay local & try to knock a few bucks off the price if you like the guitar.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
<--- I love my G&L ASAT. I went MIA because I wanted an ebony fretboard and a 1 3/4" nut, but I've played several Tributes and they are easily as nice or better than MIM Fenders.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Plus gas, fees at the border (HST at the bare minimim) and the difficulty of importing a guitar with a rosewood fretboard due to the CITES regulations - - unless you were recommending that the OP to smuggle it in?

Also consider the fact that you can't play the guitar before buying it to make sure if it's a good one or not. G&L's quality is quite consistent but this applies to a guitar at any price point.

Stay local & try to knock a few bucks off the price if you like the guitar.
With today's manufacturing methods I feel that is a non-issue with electric guitars.

As for the gas, etc, it's only a short drive from Montreal. The idea is to arrive with an empty tank and fill up in the USA, That will pay for your gas. Then you have a new guitar for the same price as a used one.

It depends, Rory, what you want. Each must make his own choice. For those of us with experience in buying across the border, there are other ways to recoup any driving fees.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
With today's manufacturing methods I feel that is a non-issue with electric guitars.

As for the gas, etc, it's only a short drive from Montreal. The idea is to arrive with an empty tank and fill up in the USA, That will pay for your gas. Then you have a new guitar for the same price as a used one.

It depends, Rory, what you want. Each must make his own choice. For those of us with experience in buying across the border, there are other ways to recoup any driving fees.
There's a US town just south of the Okanagan, Oroville, that exists on summer tourism and mailboxes for Canucks. It's just easier and faster to make the drive than to have packages languish at customs, not to mention sellers who won't mail outside of the US.Haven't tried rosewood yet, though.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts

Why did I know that this is exactly what you would say.

Have you imported a guitar with rosewood recently? Can you shed some light on the process & anticipated costs to get it into Canada?

I'm assuming that the "modern manufacturing methods" you refer to = CNC routing. Does that method of shaping a neck & body guarantee that every single guitar will have a tight neck/body joint, decent fretwork/no ends sprouting, a guitar that is a decent weight, resonant etc.? If you think so, may I respectfully suggest a visit to the "guitar dept." at Best Buy.

How about handling any warranty issues? Many ppl might opt pay to have the work done locally vs. the cost & aggravation of shipping cross-border or driving it over to ship it back to GC/MF, so there goes a major advantage of buying new.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Why did I know that this is exactly what you would say.

Have you imported a guitar with rosewood recently? Can you shed some light on the process & anticipated costs to get it into Canada?

I'm assuming that the "modern manufacturing methods" you refer to = CNC routing. Does that method of shaping a neck & body guarantee that every single guitar will have a tight neck/body joint, decent fretwork/no ends sprouting, a guitar that is a decent weight, resonant etc.? If you think so, may I respectfully suggest a visit to the "guitar dept." at Best Buy.

How about handling any warranty issues? Many ppl might opt pay to have the work done locally vs. the cost & aggravation of shipping cross-border or driving it over to ship it back to GC/MF, so there goes a major advantage of buying new.
You don't have to buy anywhere you don't want to. But those of us that are looking at doing so will do so and those that don't want to don't have to..

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
There's a US town just south of the Okanagan, Oroville, that exists on summer tourism and mailboxes for Canucks. It's just easier and faster to make the drive than to have packages languish at customs, not to mention sellers who won't mail outside of the US.Haven't tried rosewood yet, though.
From what I understand, the rosewood issue is not a problem for personal items, only if you are involved in a commercial sales venture.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The rules say you can accompany a personal guitar. Shipping through customs is where things "may" go sideways.
The only way my Customs guys would care is if I walked through their office yelling "Hey look I have an illegal rosewood fretboard" and then explained to them was CITES was. They're happy to find the import code for musical instrument and charge me the tax. If you're really worried get the maple version.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
The rules say you can accompany a personal guitar. Shipping through customs is where things "may" go sideways.
The only way my Customs guys would care is if I walked through their office yelling "Hey look I have an illegal rosewood fretboard" and then explained to them was CITES was. They're happy to find the import code for musical instrument and charge me the tax. If you're really worried get the maple version.
That's 100% correct.

Hmmm... people were freaking out on another guitar forum about this.
Some were here as well. Have you noticed during your lifetime that a lot of people like to freak out about things they have no experience with and know nothing about?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Its 400$ cdn, he can probably get it for 375$, and he can try it. How is he going to find one in the US, get it shipped, and spend gas, taxes, and several hours, for less??
Not with our exchange.
Its a great guitar for the money. Go for it. forget getting it from the US.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Its 400$ cdn, he can probably get it for 375$, and he can try it. How is he going to find one in the US, get it shipped, and spend gas, taxes, and several hours, for less??
Not with our exchange.
Its a great guitar for the money. Go for it. forget getting it from the US.
If he wants to buy a used one for that price, he should do it. I am only giving him an option. There is no need for anyone to get their knickers in a twist, is there?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Those guitars are currently $700 CAD on MF. Less the current 15% off coupon that's still >$600 + any other fees related to getting the guitar into Canada.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts