The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cdn. distributor for Orange said Long and McQuad has just decided to carry the Orange Tiny Terror - A 15/7 watt class A amp head. I don't know the street price but a straight conversion of the British price puts it around $600 +/-.

http://www.orangeamps.com/tinyterror/

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just read a thread on the Gear Page - guy said they wouldn't be 'stateside' until November, but someone in England posted a review:

http://www.orangeamps.com/forumtest/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11503

Orange makes a few versions of 30 watt amps. They got 50s, 100s, a 140 and now a 200w for those interested in more oomph.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I'm going to have to try one of these.
Don't look down your nose at 15 watts until you've tried it cranked. I've played through an old Vox AC10 (10 watts with 2 - 10" speakers) and it is surprisingly loud.

·
Premium Member
5,174 Posts
Man, that is an amp I am really interested in trying. If it comes close to matching the "Orange tone" without sounding as loud as a jet, I would be in heaven. Some of my favourtite guitar sounds from live recordings by Canned Heat, Ike Turner, and MC5 were all done on Orange's. But the vintage ones are such beasts. Way more amp than I have ever needed.

Anyone know what the price is going to like on these?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
15 watts not enough?

Fifteen watts is plenty! If you need more, mic and run through PA or an inexpensive SS amp: what you want first is that TONE! As for reverb, I find a lot of us use reverb to liven up a "dead" sounding amp, but good class A amps have a depth or 3D quality that makes reverb unnecessary. I might need to get one of these as a pet for my OR80

·
Premium Member
5,174 Posts
washburned said:
Fifteen watts is plenty! If you need more, mic and run through PA or an inexpensive SS amp: what you want first is that TONE! As for reverb, I find a lot of us use reverb to liven up a "dead" sounding amp, but good class A amps have a depth or 3D quality that makes reverb unnecessary. I might need to get one of these as a pet for my OR80
I always considered reverb essential, but my 2 favourite amps right now don't have reverb and they sound fantastic. And even my one amp I consider my 'reverb amp', I have been playing dry as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i really need reverb because i play a lot of psychedelic sort of stuff. and i cant stand digital reverb. i strictly only use real spring reverb. i would love to find a rocker 30 or an ad30htc head. more than a 50 watt orange would be too much amp and too much cash. id like to try or buy that tiny terror amp but i dont think ill go for it for a rehearsal/gig amp.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've had great luck with THD Yellow jackets in my OR 80. It puts out about 30 - 40 watts instead of 80, and definitely has a different sound, dare I say Voxish?

·
Registered
274 Posts
the thing is quiet! wow. I played it today and was shocked. No chance of playing a bar or anything with a clean tone. We had it hooked to the 412 orange cab and the sound was KILLER, but it lacked headroom for sure. really big middy marshall sound, lots of drive, wicked, wicked sounding amp.

we initially used the 16ohm out to the cab, but I tried the stereo outs (8ohm) to the stereo ins of the cab and I liked the sound a lot more. Maybe a tad louder, maybe a bit fuller sounding.

Comes with a lunchbox carrying case. would be absolutely incredible for recording

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
hmm, sounds interesting, I have never tried an orange amp. but a buddy of mine just got a rockerverb (?) & loves it

·
Registered
283 Posts
bolero said:
hmm, sounds interesting, I have never tried an orange amp. but a buddy of mine just got a rockerverb (?) & loves it
your buddy is a lucky bastard lol. theres no way i can afford a rockerverb and thats the exact amp i want. found a used one for 1800 but still tooooooo much :( :( . anyway i found a tiny terror for $650-$700 canadian and think i might have to go for it considering i have no chance on getting a rockerverb because it wont fit my income. anybody have any idea how this will go with my orange 2X12 and will it be good for rehearsal and keep up with the drums and bass?

·
Registered
274 Posts
sesroh said:
your buddy is a lucky bastard lol. theres no way i can afford a rockerverb and thats the exact amp i want. found a used one for 1800 but still tooooooo much :( :( . anyway i found a tiny terror for $650-$700 canadian and think i might have to go for it considering i have no chance on getting a rockerverb because it wont fit my income. anybody have any idea how this will go with my orange 2X12 and will it be good for rehearsal and keep up with the drums and bass?
It would almost work, but you would probably have to run it full out if your drummer is a hard hitter.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The cost of the Tiny Terror in the USA is $620 (Cdn). In England, the highest price is $646 Cdn. At LA Music it's $749. Go Figure.

edit. Just saw a closed ebay,ca listing from Sudbury $649

·
Registered
283 Posts
well i found a tiny terror and had a look at it at my local shop. its actually a really cool amp. it's $799, which is what i expected. i saw one on ebay for 399(pounds) from a UK seller. i really like the amp so ive put it on hold and if i feel the urge i think ill buy it and hopefully it works out for me.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts