The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drove all over Edmonton sampling fuzz pedals.
I want a fuzz pedal.... never had one before.
I really wanted to enjoy fuzz but try as I did, I could not find one that was pleasing to the ear.

The closest I found to a doable tone was the new EHX green muff reissue.

To me fuzz feels and sounds like playing with too much gain with the neck pickup and tone pot rolled right off.
I suppose dull and without bite would be the best way to describe what I'm getting.

What am I doing wrong ?

I'm generally a humbucker guy and most fuzz demos seem to use single coils - is this a factor ?

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,108 Posts
So I drove all over Edmonton sampling fuzz pedals.
I want a fuzz pedal.... never had one before.
I really wanted to enjoy fuzz but try as I did, I could not find one that was pleasing to the ear.

The closest I found to a doable tone was the new EHX green muff reissue.

To me fuzz feels and sounds like playing with too much gain with the neck pickup and tone pot rolled right off.
I suppose dull and without bite would be the best way to describe what I'm getting.

What am I doing wrong ?

I'm generally a humbucker guy and most fuzz demos seem to use single coils - is this a factor ?
I've only ever enjoyed them with a strat, I've heard other people make fuzz sound good with humbuckers but I can't do it :(

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
There's a lot of different fuzz sounds, what are you going for?

What song do you like the fuzz tones of?
There's a ton of fuzz pedals out there but most of them are copies of a few different circuits.

I play with single coil pickups so I'm not going to be the best to advise on what sounds good with hum buckers.

But if you can narrow down what you're looking for we can point you in the right direction.

Nathan

·
Banned
357 Posts
I got a Moratto Tonebender Mk ii recently, and although I have determined I'm just not a fuzz guy, it is the best I have ever used by far.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I watched a bunch of vids on the YouTube and it seems that fuzz does indeed sounds more like it should with single coils.

I think my problem is that I hear too much loss of note definition with humbuckers. This coming from a guy who likes crisp note definition.

I think I'm gonna give it another go with a Strat and see if I like it.

I wonder if 57 Classics split well ?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I use fuzz with humbuckers. I don't have any single coil guitars. I enjoy a Fuzz Face running into a slightly distorted amp. If you roll back the volume on your guitar, you can can get a nice sounding old school overdrive / fuzz sound. Its a different sound than the big muffs. Did you try any big muffs with a mids boost knob?

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
Did you try a Fuzz Factory? They can be tricky for a while, but once you somewhat get a handle on it, they can do a lot of different fuzz sounds.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
The Analogman Astrotone works great with humbuckers. It is not a high gain gain, and it stacks well with other overdrive pedals. I also recently got his SunBender MK1.5, and it sounds REALLY good too, and the cleanup is also very good. The Fuzz Knob is actually more useable than a regular fuzz face.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of all the fuzzes I found, this sounded the best...

upload_2017-10-19_18-24-11.jpeg

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
+1 on Tonebender MkII with humbuckers. YMMV but IME Fuzz Faces sound best with low output SC pups.

This is on my board now, the MkII is spectacular & the Mk 1.5 does a decent approximation of Fuzz Face.

·
Registered
24,368 Posts
The reason why they can sound like a Fuzz Face is because the Tonebender IS essentially a Fuzz Face with an input buffer. The 3-knob unit are a somewhat different design, but the 2-knobbers are FF-based.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I have a byoc tone bender mk ii

I like it a lot, I find I can get a good early Hendrix sound out of it and a led zeppelin 1 sound.

I found the big muff style fuzzes mid heavy and woolly, with single coils.

Again what sounds are you looking for?
What are some songs with fuzz tone you like?

Nathan

·
Registered
393 Posts
I enjoy a Fuzz Face running into a slightly distorted amp.
I've been playing for over 30 years and finally broke down and bought my first fuzz a few months ago, a Solid Gold 'If 6 Was 9'. I use a clean amp mostly and the pedal is okay on it's own, but it really stacks well with an overdrive. It can go from bluesy to full on nasty depending on which pedal I stack it with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts