The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I’m new here. Session guitarist.

I’m currently running a early built Victoria Bassman, stero into a Allen Accomplice Jr, built by Allen sold by @fogdart. i’m going to either be using my 69 SG special all original or my 59 Jason smith Masterbuilt Strat directly into the fuzz, into—— valvulator V1 ——Analogman bi-comp——Timmy——Eradicator——delay

What do you recommend for a all around good fuzz. Gig a lot, so simplicity and tone reliability is key. Thoughts on fuzzface original?

Like I said think session artist. Lots of genres. Play a lot of blues & funk.

Any Feed back on compressor in-terms of “where it should sit in the chain” for the funk is welcome. I’m

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Animals Pedal fishing is fun as fuzz or the JHS muffeletta. Has a rotary knob that has 6 different big muff variations. I like the civil war and the Russian

Reactions: skiddypop

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,108 Posts
Oh man, fuzz is like steak... everyone has a different opinion of what perfect is. The skin pimp MKIII tone bender is my personal fav and the op amp big muffs a close second! Two totally different animals though and neither may suit you. That probably wasn’t much help now that I reread it, haha! Good luck with the search!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
If you're looking for versatility, I would recommend at least checking out a Zvex Fuzz Factory, or Fat Fuzz Factory. It has a considerable amount of knobs and you'd have to dedicate some time to it to figure everything out, but you can find MANY usable tones that are classic fuzz, or crazy experimental. I have one and I'll never get rid of it.

Another suggestion is you could message Arcane Analog and they could probably build you something. Very well known Canadian builder who specializes in Fuzz!
https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/arcane-analog-custom-handmade-effects.52596/page-19#post-2550912
Check out their dedicated post on current builds and throw out a message to get yourself something personal and special made up!!

·
Registered
24,367 Posts
Chitmo summarized fuzz perfectly. I've got several dozen, simply because they all have their own personalities (and they're SOOOO easy and cheap to build). However, the OP expressed interest in something that would be suitable for studio use. And while "generic" can often sound like a diss, let's substitute that with "shows up in a lot of places". And since studio work can be made up of equal parts default tones, and gee-I've-never-heard-that-before tones, that would suggest a combination of the aforementioned Fuzz Factory and a Big Muff Pi. The Fuzz Factory is essentially a Fuzz Face, with the ability to tweak for some more unusual sounds. The Big Muff Pi has been around for almost 50 years in various forms. Which issue is the most common? Beats the hell out of me, but people swear by the Ram's Head version and EHX recently "re-released" it. I put that in quotation marks because the wide component tolerances back in the early days meant that any two consecutive BMPs coming off the line wouldn't sound the same. But it's probably as omnipresent a fuzz as one might find, and NOT "boutique-priced".

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
I've tried three or four of the popular ones. I've settled on the Black Ash by Earthquaker Devices. You might have trouble finding one though, they only made 1500.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chitmo summarized fuzz perfectly. I've got several dozen, simply because they all have their own personalities (and they're SOOOO easy and cheap to build). However, the OP expressed interest in something that would be suitable for studio use. And while "generic" can often sound like a diss, let's substitute that with "shows up in a lot of places". And since studio work can be made up of equal parts default tones, and gee-I've-never-heard-that-before tones, that would suggest a combination of the aforementioned Fuzz Factory and a Big Muff Pi. The Fuzz Factory is essentially a Fuzz Face, with the ability to tweak for some more unusual sounds. The Big Muff Pi has been around for almost 50 years in various forms. Which issue is the most common? Beats the hell out of me, but people swear by the Ram's Head version and EHX recently "re-released" it. I put that in quotation marks because the wide component tolerances back in the early days meant that any two consecutive BMPs coming off the line wouldn't sound the same. But it's probably as omnipresent a fuzz as one might find, and NOT "boutique-priced".
Thanks for the information. Not studio more live sessions for different artists. But I understand the concept. Sounds like I’ll be buying a lot of different fuzzes prior to settling. I wanted to try something fuzz-face like and something muff pi like. But something I can dial in my original flavours. Thank you for some options and your knowledgeable feedback.
I currently tried the 6was9 GE Solidgoldfx pedal. Dare I say it cleans up to much. If my guitar volume isn’t 10 the fuzz won’t really engage. I’ve tried multiple eq’s. Still same issue. I’m going to try a few germanium style and a few SI styles.
I never knew the fuzz factory was like a fuzz face. Really wana try one. Do you reckon paying the money for a hand-wired if it will be seeing a lot of shows.

Thanks Again.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're looking for versatility, I would recommend at least checking out a Zvex Fuzz Factory, or Fat Fuzz Factory. It has a considerable amount of knobs and you'd have to dedicate some time to it to figure everything out, but you can find MANY usable tones that are classic fuzz, or crazy experimental. I have one and I'll never get rid of it.

Another suggestion is you could message Arcane Analog and they could probably build you something. Very well known Canadian builder who specializes in Fuzz!
https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/arcane-analog-custom-handmade-effects.52596/page-19#post-2550912
Check out their dedicated post on current builds and throw out a message to get yourself something personal and special made up!!
This is great. I think I’m going to play a bunch first see what I really like and don’t like, once I gain a-little more practical knowledge regarding what I need, I’m going to get one made

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh man, fuzz is like steak... everyone has a different opinion of what perfect is. The skin pimp MKIII tone bender is my personal fav and the op amp big muffs a close second! Two totally different animals though and neither may suit you. That probably wasn’t much help now that I reread it, haha! Good luck with the search!

Helps a lot. I have a bunch of different options to play now. I’m going to trade/sell some of my current pedals and dive into the world of fuzz. Who knows maybe I’ll have two on my live board like Nick Perri.
I’ve always liked my boosts and OD’s. Gain staging is my favourite, don’t know why I never found love in many fuzzes.
Let the journey begin.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
The Animals Pedal I spoke of sounds amazing with single coils. Not so much with humbuckers. Something else to consider.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Animals Pedal I spoke of sounds amazing with single coils. Not so much with humbuckers. Something else to consider.
Yeah, i'm coming to the realization that I probably will need two, if i'm switching between guitars on stage.

Regards

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
This is great. I think I’m going to play a bunch first see what I really like and don’t like, once I gain a-little more practical knowledge regarding what I need, I’m going to get one made
You're definitely in the right frame of mind by going Fuzz Face and Big Muff first. Classic pedals that are very usable, if I remember correctly even David Gilmour used both; FF in early Floyd, and BM in the middle years. If you're going traditional FF I hear they work best with Single Coils (I use pretty much 100% humbuckers), but there's plenty of variants that sound great with both, and BM works with anything, but make it hard to cut through a mix, especially considering the era you use.

I personally love Superfuzzes, Tonebenders, anything that gets messy and harsh walls of sound. Right now my go-to is a Dwarfcraft Silver Rose v2; it's a Big Muff & Superfuzz running in parallel with an active EQ you can take in or out of circuit, clean blend, and some other switches for tweaking. It's very destructive, in the best way!!! :D

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're definitely in the right frame of mind by going Fuzz Face and Big Muff first. Classic pedals that are very usable, if I remember correctly even David Gilmour used both; FF in early Floyd, and BM in the middle years. If you're going traditional FF I hear they work best with Single Coils (I use pretty much 100% humbuckers), but there's plenty of variants that sound great with both, and BM works with anything, but make it hard to cut through a mix, especially considering the era you use.

I personally love Superfuzzes, Tonebenders, anything that gets messy and harsh walls of sound. Right now my go-to is a Dwarfcraft Silver Rose v2; it's a Big Muff & Superfuzz running in parallel with an active EQ you can take in or out of circuit, clean blend, and some other switches for tweaking. It's very destructive, in the best way!!! :D
Yes i had a big muff pi once apon a time, had a hard time cutting through the mix, especially because I play with a lot of sax, trumpet, keys ect. Big bands for me, so comping and tonality control is huge. I ride my volume nob on my guitar like crazy, and i'm learning a lot of these fuzzes are volume dependent, maybe not so much the BM in my limited experience with it. So its more than just tone right now, trying to find something that takes my ears and hands into tonal goodness, while working with my style of playing and how i control my volumes.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
What do you recommend for a all around good fuzz. Gig a lot, so simplicity and tone reliability is key. Thoughts on fuzzface original?
IMO, the fuzzface original would be one of the worst choice for you. Sound great but not "all around good". Not really pedalboard friendly, and can be noisy.

If you gig alot, you should consider a Boss Fuzz. Simple yet... can do a lot of different fuzz tones.
Built like a tank, easy to replace, cheap....not a collectible but a great tool.

...If you are going "boutique", I recently bought Dirty Boy pedals. They have a "frequency" knob that works very well.
I really like them, probably my new favorite....from a guy with no pedalboard and a lot of fuzzes.;)

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Bob thanks for information. I e heard the fuzzfaces are very finicky and can be hard to dial in - in a live setting.
I’ve really wanted to try a dirty boy pedal. Glad to hear you love it

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
He plays a Gibson 60s SG Jr through the Boss Fuzz.

Also, the gated fuzz option, on the FZ-5, is amazing with delay.
John Mayer use something similar here...
The idea is to choke some of the note and use the delay to keep a minimum of sustain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts