The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
My modded EJ strat has been my go-to for about 9 years now. It has a great vibe and it feels like home when I play it.

I acquired it in a trade. I discovered later that the original neck was faulty, with a maxed out truss rod. So, I had an All Parts Neck installed (12" radius, stainless steel frets).

While the faulty neck was disappointing, I can't really complain. I traded a US Peavey Wolfgang Special for it that had cost me $450 used at L&M. (They thought it was a Korean made model, but the serial number said otherwise.) The strat also came with a Callaham bridge, which is quite nice.

I've also added an Ilitch hum-cancelling pickguard, which works really well. Highly recommend for a keeper strat or tele or if you really like the pickups.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

·
Registered
604 Posts
Over 50+ years I've struggled to be a competent guitar player and got there with great effort but these guys came to me right off and without effort. Don't know why but the first time I picked up a harp I could play it like a pro without having to even think about it. I'm not a big believer in natural talent but never the less it's hard to explain why it came so easily.

Musical instrument Arm Camouflage Musician Reed

Musical instrument Product Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Electronic instrument

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
My modded EJ strat has been my go-to for about 9 years now. It has a great vibe and it feels like home when I play it.

I acquired it in a trade. I discovered later that the original neck was faulty, with a maxed out truss rod. So, I had an All Parts Neck installed (12" radius, stainless steel frets).

While the faulty neck was disappointing, I can't really complain. I traded a US Peavey Wolfgang Special for it that had cost me $450 used at L&M. (They thought it was a Korean made model, but the serial number said otherwise.) The strat also came with a Callaham bridge, which is quite nice.

I've also added an Ilitch hum-cancelling pickguard, which works really well. Highly recommend for a keeper strat or tele or if you really like the pickups.

View attachment 382988
I was thinking of going with stainless steal frets on one of my guitars. Is there any truth to stainless frets wearing down the strings at a faster rate,... what has your experience been with the EJ?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I was thinking of going with stainless steal frets on one of my guitars. Is there any truth to stainless frets wearing down the strings at a faster rate,... what has your experience been with the EJ?
No, not at all. At least not for me. I find there are no drawbacks to stainless steel frets. They feel great and the idea that I'm unlikely to need a refret is appealing.

·
Premium Member
14,323 Posts
but the first time I picked up a harp I could play it like a pro
I've always been wanting to pick it up. Your experience inspires me to go for it.
I have a pitch pipe I bought 42 years ago. I still get some satisfaction sounding the low E.
I still have my 45 yr old tuning fork.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I've always been wanting to pick it up. Your experience inspires me to go for it.
My experience is kinda the same. I had one for years but didn't really play it. Then we were trying to add a tune with a harp part (Roadhouse Blues I think) and just learned it.
I don't want to say "it's easy, anyone can do it" but it's a cheap investment to give it a whirl.
One thing to remember, there are different harps for different keys. Roadhouse is in E, but it's a "cross-harp" song so you need A. There are lots of places to research the one you need.
In my opinion, A is the most versatile because of all the tunes in E. G is common, Neil uses C quite a bit .

41 - 53 of 53 Posts