The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Alright so I'm in the market for a Wah as i'm selling off my Digitech Hendrix pedal. About a month ago I did some research into wah's and I fell in love with the Fulltone Clyde Wah. (and in fact, just fulltone pedals in general)

I've since saved up about 350$ Canadian which would be more then enough to get me one off of e-bay or some such site. However, because I have little opportunity to try out many of the pedals I get off the internet I am obsessive about ensuring i'm making the right decision. As such I have a few questions for all you Fulltone freaks...

-I'm looking for a huge variety of wah. I play everything from funk and jazz to straight-out rockin' and I want a wah that can keep up with me. As such, the Deluxe Clyde Wah with the 3 settings looks very tempting, but I understand that it's also more susceptible to defects such as hum and strange sweep range. Should I bother with it or will I get enough variety with the standard?

-I'm going to be using this wah clean as much as distorted, is the Clyde still a good choice? I've heard several reviewers on Harmony say it's pretty weak clean. (namely, that the sweep is difficult to hear)

-How is Fulltone's customer service in the event I get a defective pedal?

In the event that I decide against the Clyde i'll probably just get a Fat-boost with some Evidence Audio cables instead along with a used Vox847 to tinker with.

All suggestions are welcome. (including ones for other wahs)

Cheers!
-Falcatarius

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I really like the clyde, its pretty well built (like most fulltone pedals) and sounds great (don't own one though). Really expensive, I find. Service has been better than average for my fulltone pedals. I've had two small issues and both were solved by emailing mike. I have heard of one fellow recenty whose clyde died and Lauzon's in Ottawa replaced it no questions asked (it was about 6 months old)

Have you considered getting a second hander and having Greg Djerrhian mod it up for you? He will mod it to your specs and he does great work (he did a Dunlop for me that is just brilliant). That way you get exactly what you want. he's a member here or you can google his website, solid gold sound.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'd probably go with the Vox and have it modified to your liking, cheaper and the vox is a good pedal in it's own way.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
I'd go with Zdogma, get a used one and get it modded. One of the guys to check out is Russ Goudie of GoudieFX. He's in Kanata. He did the mods on my old GCB95. I have a V848 but I prefer using the GCB95. He's a great guy and responds to emails quickly.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Have you looked into the Zvex Wah Probe? (I think that's what it's called) Pretty cool wah. No real moving parts. It uses a sensor of some kind to detect your foot. There are some demos on You Tube.

Other than that I would stick with a modded Vox or Cry Baby - that way you get what you want without the huge sticker price. I've dealt with both Greg D and Russell Goudie - both top notch guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts