The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i do my daily scan of craig's list today. i spot a 1989 black american standard strat for $775, non- original case. i email the guy, and offer him $700, which i think is more than fair. he emails me back $749.
i tell him that's 51% of retail for a new one, his is 30 yrs old with a non original case. he says "well, they ain't making 1989 strats any more." i wished him luck and withdrew my interest. i mean, he IS right, they ain't making 89 strats anymore. it's because they made a zillion of them from 83 to about last year iirc. i guess people eventually agree to pay those prices, because after months of riding the list, they eventually disappear. but sorry, i ain't doin it. i can wait till i find one newer at that price, or the same age around $650.

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think his price is pretty fair , good luck finding an American strat for 650.00 that’s a give away price.

30 yr old, highly common, non - original case, in "good" condition? the last one i bought was a 2006 with the original case, guitar was near mint, case, good. in canada, it was $700. i passed on the same guitar at guitar center but with the original case, a 2004, at $750. if i can buy a newer, nicer one at guitar center of all places, for his asking price, then i think he's asking too much. the only reason i didn't buy that one was because i don;t want to give my business to guitar center. otherwise, for a retail outlet, it's a fair price imo

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
For $49.00 the guy was going to give up the sale on a $700.00 item? He is the loser, not Cheezyridr.

Reactions: cheezyridr

·
Registered
23 Posts
My buddy bought a 2006 Fender Strat for $600 with flight case at L&M in New Brunswick a couple years ago. Great deal. His number one guitar now. Some people have a price they are willing to let their gear go for. Some are way over market.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You may recall I started a thread some time back, with the header "That's not vintage. That's just old." I gather some folks are young enough to think that there is something magical about 1989. Wasn't that the dawn of civilization?
That's how I feel about Ibanez 10 series pedals. 15 years ago you couldn't give them away. Now they are old and have the mythical "Made In Japan" label so they must be worth a fortune. Full disclosure: A few years back I sold a rare as rocking horse poop OT-10 for an obscene amount of money so I have benefitted from this lunacy.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
30 yr old, highly common, non - original case, in "good" condition? the last one i bought was a 2006 with the original case, guitar was near mint, case, good. in canada, it was $700. i passed on the same guitar at guitar center but with the original case, a 2004, at $750. if i can buy a newer, nicer one at guitar center of all places, for his asking price, then i think he's asking too much. the only reason i didn't buy that one was because i don;t want to give my business to guitar center. otherwise, for a retail outlet, it's a fair price imo
I paid $750 for my 1995 standard SG but my hubby beat the guy down from his original price of $900. I was lucky. It came with a shit generic case so I found a Gibson one onKijiji and bought it at $100. A deal! In pristine shape.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
Can I say this? "The older you are, the less vintage something is" I was married in 1970, does that mean all my wedding presents are now vintage and worth more money. I do remember buying a Rhodes 88 suitcase piano way back when at Jim's Music Store in Cobourg for $200 and sold it on Ebay about 10 years ago for $1000. Sweet deal but I never did like the sound of a Rhodes and rarely played it..

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I don't understand how people get frustrated by stuff like this. If you are selling something you set the price. If your price is too high you probably won't sell it but the price is the seller's prerogative not the buyers. If you are buying something and the price is too high move on. Private sales have to work for both sides. If you can't come to an agreement then let it go. There are way more important things in life.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
You may recall I started a thread some time back, with the header "That's not vintage. That's just old." I gather some folks are young enough to think that there is something magical about 1989. Wasn't that the dawn of civilization?
Run DMC did a song 1989. Bare naked ladies did a cover on their first rape known as the sandwich tape for the cover art. A

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I don't think $750 (sorry, $749 :rolleyes:) is out of line for a US Strat nowadays regardless of what year it was made and not sure why you, the buyer, brought up the percentage. 51% of a new price is more than fair on a Fender (or Gibson). If anything, I would have turned that around on you as a seller.

And $50 is $50, not chump change. I've turned down many offers and passed on many guitars over $50 that were way more than $749. Nothing wrong with that.

While on the topic of frustration what really annoys me is people who list guitars but don't actually want to sell them. This one knob put a white SG Special VOS on Kijiji for $2,200. I didn't even make an offer and would have paid his asking, so I just replied with my number and said I would buy it. No reply. I sent a follow up a week later, again crickets.

Then I messaged him from my other Kijiji account offering $2,000. He replied to that was was somewhat chatty but wouldn't commit to a meeting time claiming he was busy. At this point, I knew he was full of shit but dragged it out to waste his time (a matter of principle at this point). A month later, he agrees to a time but then messages me an hour beforehand saying he pulled the guitar out of the closet, played it for five minutes, and can't sell it.

If you ever seen a seller "Igor" don't deal with him.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts