The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I concur. WOW. Just WOW.

I've played a few at Bluedog (not Model C's but FB's in general). Amazing, remarkable guitars. Right up there with Ryan and Lowden and SCGC and the other top-echelon guitars.

Not inexpensive, though. $10k seems to be a comfortable starting point. If you find $10k comfortable, that is.

Reactions: StratCat

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
It will sound different if you are in the room with it and not listening via utube. Bigger, better, more 3 dimensional.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I used to think that too, Kerry.

But I figured I can't 'take it with me', so I just got over it. I've taken my Lowden out to jams, even outdoor jams. I am careful with it - don't leave it leaning on a chair or anything - but damn it, it's too good a guitar to leave at home. The more I play it, the better it gets. I'm starting to think I could unload a couple of acoustics that are unplayed for the last year or so.

love that binding and have enjoyed playing Froggy Bottom at BlueDog also before they moved locations should try to get up to see those two
Yes, you should go see them at the new location. Much more space. And now it's three - Jenn's son is working there occasionally. A new puppy (3 now) to meet and greet you! Many wondrous instruments! What's not to love.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Listened to it with my headphones and I must say, that guitar sounds absolutely beautiful. I can't believe how rich that 00 size guitar sounds. Unfortunately, their prices are more than I would pay for a guitar unless I ran into a big inheritance which isn't going to happen to me.

Great post!

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
That guitar sounds nice. I've only played a couple of Froggy Bottoms and wasn't that impressed. They were both dreads. To give a little bit of clarity to this, I was at the 12th Fret and was there to audition a Martin Authentic 1941 D-28 of which I did buy, although not that particular one.
The 12th Fret had a whole bunch of top tier acoustics to compare so I sat there for a few hours comparing.
I play 3 Bourgeois, A D-28 Marquis, 2 Huss and Dalton, a couple of Collings and 2 different Froggy Bottom dreads. Of course I preferred the the Authentic but then I go for that Martin sound. The next closest for me was the Bourgeois which I think gets closer to the Martin sound than the rest of them. My next favorite were the Collings. The Huss and Dalton and Froggy Bottom guitars were equally my least favorite.
Every one of those small builder boutique guitars had a better fit and finish than the Martin. But then thats what these small builders can do. If I were going with fit, finish and wood quality in appearance It wouldn't have been the Martin.
The Froggy Bottom guitars were beautiful looking quality instruments. They sound great. But when in the company of all the other greats its more of a personal preference or your preferred flavor.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
That guitar sounds nice. I've only played a couple of Froggy Bottoms and wasn't that impressed. They were both dreads. To give a little bit of clarity to this, I was at the 12th Fret and was there to audition a Martin Authentic 1941 D-28 of which I did buy, although not that particular one.
The 12th Fret had a whole bunch of top tier acoustics to compare so I sat there for a few hours comparing.
I play 3 Bourgeois, A D-28 Marquis, 2 Huss and Dalton, a couple of Collings and 2 different Froggy Bottom dreads. Of course I preferred the the Authentic but then I go for that Martin sound. The next closest for me was the Bourgeois which I think gets closer to the Martin sound than the rest of them. My next favorite were the Collings. The Huss and Dalton and Froggy Bottom guitars were equally my least favorite.
Every one of those small builder boutique guitars had a better fit and finish than the Martin. But then thats what these small builders can do. If I were going with fit, finish and wood quality in appearance It wouldn't have been the Martin.
The Froggy Bottom guitars were beautiful looking quality instruments. They sound great. But when in the company of all the other greats its more of a personal preference or your preferred flavor.
It better be or you just wasted a good chunk of change. I like the Martin sound too, but the Froggy Bottom the OP posted kind of blew me away.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Bring it up to our next West Coast jam and we can play an acoustic set. I'll bring my Larrivee 12 string. April 14.
I'll do that - if I can work it out, schedule-wise. I's loves takin' my Lowden out.

Stupid work. Stupid job. I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go ...........

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Amazing tone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.