The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love to hear if anyone has done any mods on the Friedman small box amps. All handwired so it should be easy to work on. I am mostly just looking for a small gain boost on both channels, possibly adding a 3 way bright switch to the lead channel. Right now both gains are maxed and it sounds pretty good, but I feel like I'm not using it to it's potential.

I unfortunately don't have the schematic, but could go through it and try to write some component values down. Anybody?

· Premium Member
2,657 Posts
It could be done, but maybe easier and more practical to sell and upgrade to a BE or if you prefer the modern stuff a JJ? I really like the Smallbox, i owned one for about a year and I loved the plexi/clean side but didn’t use the gain side very much-it was great for classic VH stuff, but the gain channels on the BE and JJ were a lot more versatile.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be done, but maybe easier and more practical to sell and upgrade to a BE or if you prefer the modern stuff a JJ? I really like the Smallbox, i owned one for about a year and I loved the plexi/clean side but didn’t use the gain side very much-it was great for classic VH stuff, but the gain channels on the BE and JJ were a lot more versatile.
Thanks for the reply. I had a weird experience with the amp about a month ago. All the gains on both channel jumped by 50%. I loved it. But I thought something was wrong because one day it sounded different. Got ahold of Friedman and they told me to check for cold solder joints so I did, now it always sounds the way it was when I got it. I want my gain back lol. As far as I can tell it sounds the way it's supposed to now, but it sounded so good then. May it was just a eq bypass that was happening somehow. I can try lifting the round off the mid pot to see if that is what it was. Maybe I could make it a switch or something. It is all reversible. I've spent enough time building circuits and playing in amps that I could probably figure it out. Just checking with the good people of the forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.