The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished scalloping my first fretboard. i used a file for the whole thing followed by sandpaper. i dont think im going to refinish it. i did the Yngwie style about medium depth.

i really love the feel so far. if you like to play low action but feel you just cant get a grip for bends, i totally recommend it for you. the strings feel HUGE and i can tell its gonna be hard on the fingers for awhile.

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
I've owned two YJM strats... a previously owned all maple 95 with the small headstock and currently a 2006 maple, rosewood, alder with large headstock. The 95 scallops were half circles while the 06 has a flat bottom profile. So if you will emagine two hockey sticks laying handles to the floor and but ended together with the blades pointing stright up and on oposite ends of each other... you will get an idea of the profile of tis scallop. it's much more shallow wit hless wood removed and a more natural feel along the edge of the fretboard. I prefer the 06 scallops for sure... they do have visually, less impact.
I respect your efforts in creating ( by hand ) a scalloped fingerboard... no small undertaking for sure.

Khing

1 - 2 of 2 Posts