The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know the theory of fret size and how that theoretically effects play-ability. ?

You can respond with your preferred size but please include why that fret size
complements your style of playing.

thanks in advance.
G.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm a fan of wide and medium/low height --- and well crowned. Lol.

I find that too high results in me pulling notes sharp and too narrow just feels odd.

While not stuck on a definite brand or size, I'm happy with frets in the Dunlop 6150 style range.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
For me, it is all about the quality of the workmanship. If things were done right, then I find it easy, and enjoyable to play.

I have a wide variety of fret boards, frets, and such. I am really surprised how the variety suits me, from day to day. My hands are older and less effective than when I was younger. I have a more carefree, careless attitude towards what my fretting hand does now, and that kind of chooses what guitars I tend to play.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I am not a fan of taller frets. Probably due to learning on guitars with high action, my touch is a bit too heavy and tend to pull things out of tune with taller frets....if I was a nimble fingered shredder I might be inclined to try the fretting technique of using progressively narrower and shorter frets once you get to the 10/11 fret region. This apparently allows for a very low setup and gives a bit more room in the upper frets.....but I have no first hand experience with this concept

·
Registered
12,269 Posts
i have a pretty light touch, so i can get away with taller frets. somehow though, it takes me a bit of getting used to before they don't feel weird to my fingers. i suppose i like the 6105s most companies use because that's what i'm used to.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Too low, and your finger's dragging on/fighting the fingerboard itself. Too high, and it's likely you'll have to soften and adapt your fretting pressure to avoid random sharp notes.

A wider fret, depending on the profile, can feel easier on the fretting fingers because it's got a less angular intersection with the fulcrum, whereas a tall/narrow fret can feel more like a knife edge. I find narrower frets much easier to re-crown when they reach the end of their lifespan. The low profile type—some string to fretboard contact—can also dull the sounding of the fretted notes somewhat.

The best scenario for me is a compromise in which the fret contour lies between these extremes. This gives your fingers some support/backing on the fingerboard itself (when you dig in) while not allowing the string (or too much finger) to touch the fingerboard and drag or bottom out, which basically makes bending incredibly difficult.

If you're primarily a mega bending solo monster, then I guess it makes sense to opt for something with a lot more meat as they'll wear more slowly (life) and it'll be easier to perform those duties.

If you're a more rounded player who solos, bends, does lots of rhythm and chordal work, then something in between should suit you.

If you primarily strum 1st position cowboy chords to your favourite Cash or Everly Bros. tunes, you might find low frets with plenty of skin/fretboard contact quite comfortable.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
For me it is how fret size and radius work together. I found that the Fender medium jumbo and the 9.5 radius work very well for me. A 1.65" nut makes it a touch better and a soft V profile ever more. Bends and vibratos are easier and smoother with combination. The more the whole thing fits my hand, the better.

I had a guitar with a 14" radius and I had it refretted with 6105s (.90x.55) and I find I didn't have to dig in as much but I still would prefer not to have a radius over 12". I once tried a G&L ASAT with a 7.5" radius with jumbos and it worked fine together. Vintage frets on 7.5" radius electric or 16" radius acoustics are good for cowboy chords but that is about it.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I don't like tall frets, especially on electrics. I use 9-42 strings on electrics and they pull sharp too easily with tall frets.Not as much of a problem with acoustics but even there I don't like tall frets. I am a fan of "vintage" style Japanese made Fender frets. They are quite low and narrow. You have to have a 9.5" radius though. Any flatter and you need a little taller frets.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
I have tall frets on one guitar & almost not thee "Fretless Wonder" types on another--and a variety in between--they all have pros & cons--and are no a selling point for me, nor would it kill the sale--as long as they are in good condition.

But you do have to watch your technique on different ones.
You can bend with real low frets--but maybe not as far & not necessarily as easily--at least until you get used to it (Where you set you action also affects that)
& definitely with tall frets your touch is important--but I don't think about it most of the time--I just play & adapt

(I also have a fretless bass--which is a different ball of wax--but I like it)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts