The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a guitar that appears to have been a principally C/F/G machine. I need to replace perhaps 3 or 4 frets.
They're .095 wide by up to .043 or so high in various places. I need to fix a gentre fretting out issue at the 3rd fret on high E string and tingy on the B. Do you folks care if the width is a .102 ? Visibly the diff is not too detectable. How committed are you folks to getting the same fret width ?
Height is less of a concern seeing as I'll be crowning it back to meet the others.

If the instrument matters, its a early 80's MIK 335. ( Yes, happy NGD too ! )

·
Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
203 Posts
If it were me I'd find the same exact width fretwire. Are you sure the frets really shot? I mean beyond a simple dress?

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

P

·
0 Posts
It is hard to level new frets down to match up with the old ones. My friend would replace them all.

·
Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
203 Posts
There might be lots of life left in those frets. Get someone to measure their lowest point. This will tell you whether a simple fret dress will do or if replacement is in order. Consult a local luthier or tech if in doubt. Frets usually can live through a couple of fret dresses no problem. Remember fret wear is normal and there is no single solution.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it were me I'd find the same exact width fretwire. Are you sure the frets really shot? I mean beyond a simple dress?
[/QUOTE
Yes, due to the style of play. Hi E at 3rd fret (G) is .035' and the base of my vernier isn't narrow enough to hit the lowest spot in the pit, so maybe .033"(?) Running up the neck fret height rises to .038 and hits .041 in a few spots above the 7th fret. I think I'd have to take off a good amount of metal elsewhere to fix this fret without a replace. I did something similar for a baritone and it was iterative level, setups, and re-level and two sets of strings later before the final crown and polish. ( I laugh over that one, that my crowning file survived. )

That said, I have another concern for this guitar to address wrt relief. Its a well used '81/82 and has been an unstrung project by previous owner for unknown period of time. It has back-bow with the one-way truss 'released' when unstrung. Strung up with 10's brings it approx flat, so I've temporarily tuned it up 2 stops to see if I can build some relief. Bending the fretted G on "E" string +2 lets it ring clean. Plays nice everywhere else.
I'll try the backbow repair noted here over the holidays :
I just finished making up some neck clamp cauls today. Getting rid of the backbow will be a necessity at any rate. Can't do a proper fret level 'til that's solved. Gotta love those 2-way truss rods !!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Considering EVO gold medium for this guitar ( 335 type ). Any experience out there regarding tone change, understanding its between SS and Nickel-Silver in harness. Any love out there for these ?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found 3 rods of Stewmac's #141 on my shelf so I'll go with that and do the whole thing.
.095x.045x.073 deep.
I bought a fret saw at Lee Valley today in case I need to deepen any slots + 10/12 radius block. Oh , what a store !!
They are recycling redeemed gift cards into guitar picks, free at the counter. Kudos to Lee Valley !!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided to re-level anyway before jumping into a re-fret. Glad I did. It's cleaned up nicely, but yeah, at the .030 area now from 3 to 8th frets. I can't get any more relief as my TR is loose, so I'll have to be patient and see what happens in the spring. BTW, I picked up a new dual sided radius block at Lee Valley... 10"/12" :D

·
Premium Member
5,165 Posts
I decided to re-level anyway before jumping into a re-fret. Glad I did. It's cleaned up nicely, but yeah, at the .030 area now from 3 to 8th frets. I can't get any more relief as my TR is loose, so I'll have to be patient and see what happens in the spring. BTW, I picked up a new dual sided radius block at Lee Valley... 10"/12" :D
Nice! I'm going to have to pay more attention to Lee Valley. Sounds like they are adding more guitar related stuff all the time. Good to know

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice! I'm going to have to pay more attention to Lee Valley. Sounds like they are adding more guitar related stuff all the time. Good to know
I confess, there's more. I bought a fret saw too for another project and topped up my micro 2000, 2500 grit paper supply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts