The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a review in the current Vintage Guitar and was rather struck by it. It's a fascinating blend of Firebird, from the waist to the back strap pin, and a Jazzmaster, from the waist to the front. A really interesting combination design that I think actually works quite well. Comes in a variety of flavours.

·
Premium Member
25,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never played anything with the reverse headstock, or any arrangement with all the tuners on "the bottom", so I have no real opinion, or basis for one, with respect to that arrangement. Other than simply being different, I imagine one of the things it does is provide a different break angle for the thicker strings.

But the overall body weight distribution, and likelihood of neck-dive, seems decent. Just exactly where one gets to try one out in North America (British company) is another matter.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Not my thing. No idea what they were going for. There's too many lines at play in the design that make no sense. Just a poorly executed mash up.

The St. Vincent, on the other hand, is a complete design with complimentary lines that balance the whole look. It's not derivative but somehow reminds me of the 1950's styling of women's fashion. I think that's Annie Clark's quirky sense of humour at play.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wrote that review of the Fret-King Esprit III in Vintage Guitar.

On the positive side, the guitar is very well made, very well balanced, with great fret work, and it sounds spectacular. The player has the ability to adjust the amount of single or double coil response he or she prefers. This guitar kills with overdrive, fuzz, or distortion. Trust me, it sounds amazing with the right amp and pedals. It's odd looking enough to get you noticed, but I understand some may not the way it looks. I did, but then again, I like weird shapes.

The only negative is the weight. It's quite heavy, because the wood they use is extremely dense, and there is no tummy cut in the back, which would alleviate a little of the bulk.

All in all however, it's a really nice playing guitar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts