The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if you can tell if this guitar will definitely need a fret dress. It's odd for there to be such a divot on the second fret, isn't it? It's for sale on this site.

stratneck.jpeg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good chance it will. might buzz at the 3rd fret. probably had the same song played many times, with some string bending there. But that's a guess. Russ

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Looks deep enough that you might find you need to have those first few replaced then the whole thing levelled. Remember: you have to take everything down to the lowest point of the largest divot in order to level the fret tops, then have enough height still to file the shoulders back towards centre to form a new crown.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Every guitar will eventually need a fret dress (if played). I've seen a lot worse than what's pictured above and I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor whether to buy or not.

L

·
0 Posts
There seems to be enough meat there to file it down.
Afterwards, level the first four/five frets accordingly to avoid buzz.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
If it "boinks" out of the pocket when you want to bend that note, not good. If it doesn't let you bend that note, that's much worse. Fret level or get a capo at 3 and fuggetaboutit :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts