The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Like 1 guitar that isn't back ordered? Interesting guitars, but I probably wouldn't buy them... the site doesn't look very professional so I don't really trust it. They could be great, maybe I'm just paranoid.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they seem to be pretty honest that their guitars are made in china, etc. but the quality seems pretty good. All solid wood bodies, no laminates I believe, so at least the basics are decent.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah I just saw their ad at the top of the page as well, who knows they might be awesome like SX and Agile. I guess we'll soon find out when a couple of people get the guts to buy one.

EDIT: Sweet, they are offering a 30 day return policy, so if you're not satisfied you can just return em.

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
Yeah I just saw their ad at the top of the page as well, who knows they might be awesome like SX and Agile. I guess we'll soon find out when a couple of people get the guts to buy one.

EDIT: Sweet, they are offering a 30 day return policy, so if you're not satisfied you can just return em.
Ya there is a lot of potential for a company 'doing it right'. Reverend in the States imports all their guitars, but they take the time to do the QC themselves and set them up before shipping them out. And as mentioned Rondo puts out a pretty good product, and has one of the best return policies out there. A Canadian company could adopt similar systems and do pretty well.

The site also has a used/vintage section which is pretty cool. I personally don't think sites should ever be live until they are in a finished State. Especially ones doing commerce. It leads to a lot of first impression built on the look of the site. And right now the site doesn't look very good. Especially the low quality images of the guitars.

That SG looks pretty nice. It says it's mahogany on the front page, but when I go to the store page it says it's solid ...birch? A birch SG?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yeah, I caught that too... I'm a big SG fan but a gaffe like that make me wonder about the legitimacy of the site. It could be a simple mistake, too. But a birch SG? What the...

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
It drives me nuts when they build guitars like that. Like, Eastwood makes a cool looking version of a Gibson Double Cut Special....but then makes it out of Basswood. Nad you can hear the difference as soon as you play it. Some guitars have a trademark sound and should be built at least pretty close to spec. Having owned a birch Tele, it's hard to imagine a birch SG.

I also noticed after more reading that instead of doing something unique like offering a decent setup on the guitars before shipping them, they chose to just put a section on their page about how to do it yourself.

If a Canadian business wants to be successful doing this type of thing, they should be offering something extra.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah I noticed that too, LPs with alder bodies and maple necks. But meh I wouldn't be too quick to judge em, they've just surfaced and no one has actually layed hands on the product yet, so might as well cut em some slack until we get some real feedback.

EDIT: On a side note, that bass with the active pups looks pretty sweet.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Yeah, I caught that too... I'm a big SG fan but a gaffe like that make me wonder about the legitimacy of the site. It could be a simple mistake, too. But a birch SG? What the...

The one that caught my eye was the EG3 which has a body made of "Solid Chinese Wood".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fret City

Hi guys, Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, this is Rob from Fret City Music.

Thanks for the comments both good and constructive. All the comments are important to us. We are really really pleased you guys are visiting our site and talking about it !

Yes we are a legit company and we will be opening in August. Our first product run is currently in manufacturing - and for this reason everything is marked "backorder" so we won't accept orders until the Container arrives. I agree there are some mistakes which we need to correct. (and thanks for pointing them out !) We decided to get our name "out there" in the meantime, and give you a chance to see the initial product offering. The worse that can happen is we get some constructive comments and we will be that much better coming out of the gate.

We really do want to bring a quality product with value to Canadian Musicians and we are very excited about this product. Our manufacturer also builds in China for Epiphone, Washburn and Ibanez among others.

We are great fans of US-built instruments such as Fender and Gibson and we really do believe they build great products - there is no question. We are not pretending these will ever replace those beloved Guitars and Basses!! In fact, as a Bass player, one of my favorite instruments is my Dakota Red Fender USA 62 Precision Bass !.

However, we sincerely feel we can offer quality "gigable" guitars to fill the gap for those not ready or willing to invest in a Domestic built Guitar, or those who may have a valued instrument but may fear taking it on a gig. I am confident, though, when you have a chance to play one you will be pleasantly blown away ! (as my band mates are with the model SH-40 semi demo unit we have).

To make sure its playable "out-of-the-box", we will be doing a setup on each and every instrument before shipping. We have also included a section on how to do setups yourself because we really think you should be able to do that.

Anyways guys, again we really do appreciate the comments and also the opportunity to respond and we hope to hear from anyone who has questions or comments !!

Best Regards !!!!!!!!

Rob from Fret City

:rockon2:

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
As most of the guitars are alder or basswood (I did see an SG with a mahogany body) have you had any thoughts about offering some body shapes that suit those materials?

I'd love to have a super-strat (RG or JEMM) or a King V body in Alder at around these prices.

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
Thanks for posting.

There is one thing I don't understand though. Rondo offers quite a few guitars made from more traditional woods for those models. Eastwood, another Canadian company offers and SG style guitar that is mahogany body and mahogany neck. I am just curious why you and some other companies choose to use the woods you do for similar models? I don't notice a big difference in prices on imports when the different woods are used, but I notice a big difference in tone. So why not use the 'right' wood?

If you guys offered something like a double cut Junior/Les Paul Special made of mahogany I think you'd clean up.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thanks for posting.

There is one thing I don't understand though. Rondo offers quite a few guitars made from more traditional woods for those models. Eastwood, another Canadian company offers and SG style guitar that is mahogany body and mahogany neck. I am just curious why you and some other companies choose to use the woods you do for similar models? I don't notice a big difference in prices on imports when the different woods are used, but I notice a big difference in tone. So why not use the 'right' wood?

If you guys offered something like a double cut Junior/Les Paul Special made of mahogany I think you'd clean up.
+1 to that... if you guys offer that white LP and the SG with mahogany bodies I'll guarantee I'd buy atleast one of each. Offer a white SG with a mahogany body and I'll buy two SGs... offer a LP with an unfinished maple neck and I'll buy two LPs... haha.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
remember...the QUALITY of the piece of wood is a lot of times more important than the type of wood...there are good pieces of mahogany, and their are bad pieces.

·
Registered
872 Posts
A guy I work with was telling me on the weekend about a SG copy he had way back(early 70's). He stripped the guitar and it was a 7 or 8 peice body full of knots. He just threw it the trash and moved on.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts