The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just got an epi sg....i got it used and when i was playing it it felt great i loved the sound and loved the way it felt... how ever when i got home and really started to play it i noticed that the fifth fret buzzed like crazy like if i play the fifth fret on the b string it just gives off a horrible almost muted sound.... anyone know why this is happening? and how much it will cost to fix?

thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Sounds like the truss rod just needs to be tweaked, easy fix. Google how to do it and it won't cost you a penny. Not all, but a few guides fail to mention this, but never do more then a 1/4 turn at a time.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
the nut could be cut too low too, check frets.com to see how to check it.
You might need the frets leveled, but you should try a good set up first.

Before attacking the truss rod as mentioned above, read up on it and make sure you understand what you are doing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright well the guitars at my dads right now soo ill have to wait like a week to try it :mad: but thanks for the tips ill see if it does anything... hopefully!

and how much does releveling the frets cost?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Dwagar, don't f with the truss rod unless you know what your doing. Check the nut and fret, getting the intonation set up at a guitar shop should be no more than 30 bucks. Depending on the bridge you have doing it yourself can be a real pain. Cheapie way - loosen the B string off and put a little piece of heavy paper (like from a cigarette pack) in the groove, retune the B string, do a few heavy bends on the string, retune and see if it still buzzes or not.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Its a cheap mass produced import. It will need a setup. The good news is Epiphone is in my oipion the best mass producer for the money. They really have the process down. I prefer the Korean ones by far but you have to expect to do setup work on any mass produced guitar.

Fret buzz is usually very easy to take care of. As mentioned its likely just a truss rod adjustment. The frets I would be 99% sure need a quick and dirty level/dress.

I've turned many epiphones into fantasic guitars with an hour or two of love. The electronics probably suck as well. Nothing you need to do right now but down the road if you love the guitar replacing the nut, pots, pickups, saddles will turn that into a Gibson rival or better.

Even after paying a tech $100 to take care of it you'll still have a bargain. To soften the money spent - you'd likely have to get a new Gibson setup the same way. I have not seen to many new Gibsons, Fenders, Martins that do not need a setup out of the box.

·
Registered
74 Posts
fret buzz

HI, sounds like a nice guitar. If the string is buzzing a little bit or sounding dull whilst fretting at the 5th fret it isnt the nut.

I would say more than likeley it is where the string meets the saddle.

Now I do not know what kind of bridge is on it, there are 2 types for those styles but I would check it out.
Also Sometimes it is just an old string which has been damaged. They sometimes get a ding in them.
Trying a new one in there may help.

cheers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also Sometimes it is just an old string which has been damaged. They sometimes get a ding in them.
Trying a new one in there may help.

cheers.
its not the string thats what i first thought it might have been just replaced the strings and its no better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts