The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I received a package from China, containing two necks. I looked at my bank statements and paypal accounts and no charges relating to this.

Now, both have very nice fretwork, abalone dots, and both have fully functional double acting truss rods but one of them is almost too ugly to use. I may need to refinish it.

Looks like they tried to enhance the maple flame using black dye?

This one isn't bad.

Wood Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Hardwood Musical instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument Wood String instrument accessory

Wood Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Flooring

This one.....yeesh.

Musical instrument Tableware Wood Table Artifact

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Hood Auto part

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Flooring Automotive exterior

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah, that's neat that you received cool flamed maple necks as a gift from China but they are quite "ugly" as you say.
Sanding yes. Except the fretboard is gonna be tough...
The second one, you could scallop the fretboard, because sanding it and removing all the black stuff is going to be difficult. But if you scallop it, there's more room for error. You still have to sand either way but with a big dip between frets you can use a dowel as your sandpaper holder and it will match the dip curve.

Either way, it's going to be a tough job to fix the fretboard.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Careful of those Chinese cheapies. From my experience, I'd say 1 in 5 is bad and not worth saving. They might have either rubber necks, are twisted or their frets aren't mathematically distanced properly.

Some are a bargain though, but I find it's a bit of a gamble. Mighty Mite or AllParts for the win.

·
Premium Member
22,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Careful of those Chinese cheapies. From my experience, I'd say 1 in 5 is bad and not worth saving. They might have either rubber necks, are twisted or their frets aren't mathematically distanced properly.

Some are a bargain though, but I find it's a bit of a gamble. Mighty Mite or AllParts for the win.
I've had good luck so far.

You also get spaghetti necks on some Squiers and Fenders (maybe not as often). These ones are straight and the truss rods work well. As for frets being improperly spaced, most of these are CNC so that's just not something I've seen in recent years. I'm not saying it's impossible, but not likely.

The price was right.

I think I can salvage both with a little sweat equity.

·
Premium Member
22,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How? Why? A random package is sent to you, in your name? Isn’t that a bit strange??

Sure is. I have looked on Ali express and other sites, but never pulled the trigger and as I said, I checked my accounts carefully.

If it was a vendor I know and work with I'd reach out to them and discuss some sort of offset, but this came out of the blue.

Too bad they're so ugly.

Other than that and the thick poly coat, they look every bit as good as the Warmoths I've seen up closde and personal.

·
Premium Member
22,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not really. They’re not skinny but feel like somewhere in between, like a typical Strat neck.
Actually they feel very nice to the touch, but I haven’t installed either yet, just checked them for straightness and fret condition, made sure the truss rods were working properly.

Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Interior design Floor

·
Premium Member
22,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The “smokey” one looks thicker than usual.

Well, it feels substantial, not like some spaghetti necks I've felt, but nothing like the Gibson R7 I had a few years back. THAT was a baseball bat.

I pretty much adapt to most neck profiles. As I've always said, there's something worthwhile in the fact that different guitars make you play in different ways.

·
Registered
16,280 Posts
I like the look of the first one--the second looks like it was rescued from a fire...

Reactions: Milkman
1 - 20 of 22 Posts