·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Mystery solved!!!! Thanks!!!!

I drove past the new CSE building a few times during my latest visit to Ottawa this past summer and for the life of me could not figure out who or what that building was for as it really seems out of place based on where it's located.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ummm... I think this is supposed to be the opposite of malware? ;)
Ha! Ha! So true! It seems I posted with too much haste and not enough hurry.%h(*&

Reactions: jb welder

·
Registered
12,863 Posts
you guys are a little late to the game. ever heard of stuxnet virus? it's how america delayed iran's nuclear capabilities. of course, in true gov't fashion, they lost control of it, and now it threatens the world.

·
Premium Member
26,637 Posts
Mystery solved!!!! Thanks!!!!

I drove past the new CSE building a few times during my latest visit to Ottawa this past summer and for the life of me could not figure out who or what that building was for as it really seems out of place based on where it's located.
Yeah, it's a weird one. The old building is rather nondescript and sits across the street from the Canada Post HW, surrounded by barbed wire fence. When I was in language training, a decade back, one of my classmates worked for CSE. She couldn't tell us much, but let it be known that the sort of technology we saw on "24" was in the ballpark of what they had.

In some respects, this anti-malware initiative is an off-loading of some of their normal activities to citizens. If you have the software to stop such unwanted intrusions, then they don't have the burden of responding to your panicky inquiries about something someone did to your computer. Smart move on their part.

People tend to confuse CSIS and CSE. Two different organizations with different mandates. The titleof the CBC piece labelling CSE Canada's "super secret spy agency" doesn't help matters.

CSIS Who we are and what we do

About us | Communications Security Establishment

·
Registered
12,863 Posts
i briefly worked in a csis building while i was in canada. they put security over safety to the point of ridiculousness.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts