The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the free version of Bitdefender for the last few years without any problems, but in the last few weeks my computer started getting really slow and freezing a lot. This morning Bitdefender was saying it was unresponsive and then my computer completely froze and wouldn't do anything. I couldn't even shut the computer down properly so I had to keep rebooting by holding the power button until it turned off, then starting it again, but it still would just sit frozen. I was having a strange suspicion it was Bitdefender going wonky so I booted back up in safe mode and was able to able to get into control panel that way, and remove it. Once I was booted back up after that, the computer has been running fine.

So....

Any recommendations for a free antivirus? Just a heads up: this computer is seven years old and I will not be spending any money on it by purchasing an antivirus. What do you guys use for a free one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
have you cleared you history? My computer is around the same age and it works fine, but every couple of months it gets sluggish and acts weird. I clear my history and also clear out any unused browsers.

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
Microsoft Security Essentials if you’re using Windows 7, otherwise the built in AV works better than most of the paid alternatives. I manage a thousand or so computers and haven’t found anything better. If a company wants reporting I use Trend Micro because it will email reports on the network health. It is a pain though. I’ve had more than one early morning call for unbootable computers after a Windows update breaks Trend Micro.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Microsoft Security Essentials if you’re using Windows 7, otherwise the built in AV works better than most of the paid alternatives. I manage a thousand or so computers and haven’t found anything better. If a company wants reporting I use Trend Micro because it will email reports on the network health. It is a pain though. I’ve had more than one early morning call for unbootable computers after a Windows update breaks Trend Micro.
I am using Windows 7. I used to use Windows Security Essentials on this computer but I stopped because I thought they weren't updating it anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
I am using Windows 7. I used to use Windows Security Essentials on this computer but I stopped because I thought they weren't updating it anymore.
They don’t support it on anything except Windows 7 and Server 2008. It works fine on those OS’ Newer OS’ have a built in security system that works much better than anything else I’ve used.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
I used AVG Free for years with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
We used Norton anti-virus for well over a decade, but it became bloated and intrusive and expensive so we backed up everything and started letting Microsoft's free Windows Defender software protect us.

In the four or so years since we've haven't had a problem, FWIW, and it's way less of a PITA than what Norton evolved into.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts