The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Great stuff. I saw him at Barrymores in Ottawa in the 80s.

L

·
0 Posts
I was going to see him open for this band, but, the concert got cancelled.
Didn't go for a refund. I was hoping for a reschedule.
I still have these .. somewhere.

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
I remember reading a GP article in the mid-70s saying that while Frank was in the hospital recovering from an overdose, he picked up a guitar and could 'suddenly' play it. Probably urban legend, but I particularly remember the disclaimer - 'kids, do not try this at home'. LOL

We were the opening act for Mahogany Rush in ... 1970 something.
As they say, if you remembered the date, you weren't really there.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Almost from the outset, Marino was plagued by the urban legend that he claimed to be possessed by the ghost of Jimi Hendrix.
The fact that Marino's first album (Maxoom) was dedicated to the memory of Hendrix and contained a eulogy of sorts (Buddy) in addition to covering Hendrix material better that Hendrix himself didn't help matters any.

Regardless, he is a phenomenal talent and definitely does not get the airplay or recognition he deserves. I firmly believe that he was an immense influence on Zakk Wylde and was one of the primary forefathers of what became the shred genre.

I very much long to see him perform live and that video is a clear indicator that he hasn't 'lost it' whatsoever.

Sadly, according to Lips Kudlow, Marino was one of the many artists in the 70s who was financially exploited by the record industry and shifty tour management.

He's a man of strong religious convictions and is allegedly one of the most humble and genuine 'guitar heroes' you'll meet.

I crossed paths with him by complete luck in Montreal at Steve's Music, he was picking up strings and whatnot.
I didn't bother him other than give him that subtle nod you give someone you know in passing.

I'm very much looking forward to the release of that DVD!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Been a fan for ages - even had some of his stuff on 8 track. Still have some vinyl and will keep those. A Canadian legend that has apparently ignored by the masses. Hopefully the dvd comes to fruitition and it will be a must buy!

L

·
0 Posts
Official Frank Marino facebook page

DVD Update:

I do not speak for Frank nor do I ever want anyone to think otherwise, but I do speak with him often
and this is my take.

All of the work is done. The only thing keeping it from release at the moment is that he is in talks
with a couple of record companies who have expressed genuine interest in releasing it on their labels.
They are well-known labels with serious offers, but he does not want to get into specifics about them
until it looks like some kind of deal is actually in place. Some of the fine-print details of these types of
record deals sometimes make things look different than the original offers, so he won't commit to
anything until he knows all of those details and feels comfortable with considering them. He will say
that these offers don't only consist of the DVD release. They also want to have an ongoing relationship
with him where he makes new records for them every year, like he used to do for CBS. The way he's
looking at this is that there can be a good side to being signed to a label as long as it's the right label
with the right people, who have a real interest in the music and not just in the business side of it. As we
all know, he cares very much about the music first. If things pan out in that direction we can expect to
see something happen along those lines pretty soon. But if the details show things different than that,
then he'll consider just releasing it himself. For something like that he would want to do it properly,
with proper funding. He's talking with private individuals for just that reason at the moment.

Either way, the 12 overall hours of material have been scaled down to about 6 hours, if you just count
the music. All of the in-between talking, sound-check stuff, double-takes, interviews, older footage and
documentary portions, etc. are not part of it right now. Whether or not that stuff will ever be included
or released is not in the immediate plan, although these things could change depending on what happens
with these labels .

Marketing strategies are leaning toward a 3 volume release instead of one 6 hour release. This is the best
option for distributors in that they can be staged releases. In my opinion, this is really the best way to keep
cost down and fit in with the length of most other DVD's of live music previously in the market. I am fairly
sure that they will all be available in HD-DVD format as well as Blu-Ray, but do not quote me on this.
Also, I am confident that it will be released as audio-only at some point as well.

We all know that this project has taken an astronomical amount of time and effort to get done, but Frank is
a one-man operation and it was a painstakingly tedious effort to get it finished. He had no option to re-shoot,
so this is the path that was taken. Most of you have seen "The Answer" and "O' Little Town Of Bethlehem"
already, so you know the quality. Myself and others have seen a lot more of it and I can assure you that it is
nothing short of pure awesomeness.

Frank will be releasing a "trailer" soon to help promote the upcoming release. When this happens, I will call
on all of you to share it across all platforms and promote it everywhere you can. The fan push is where we can
really shine a light on this project and get it some coverage that, in the past, was not as easy as it is now with
all of the social media and direct contact with music mags, other artist's and their fan bases.

So to answer some questions that I have seen, I will do my best.

Final set list will be posted soon.
No title as of yet.
Fairly confident of Blu-Ray option.
Even If split into 3 volumes, the full 3-sets may be made available on a limited basis under special circumstances
or promos. The release plan about this depends on how the negotiations go, and on which path Frank chooses.
Autographed sets may be a possibility.
Plan is to tour at some point following the release. No idea where, but wherever feasible.

Hope this helps.

WW

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Talk about under-rated guitarists. He is definitely in top five, ... make that top three

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
He's a great player for sure. Not in my top 3 or 5 but probably make it in my top 10. Shame he didn't get the same limelight

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
He's a great player for sure. Not in my top 3 or 5 but probably make it in my top 10. Shame he didn't get the same limelight
Do mean top ten of players or top ten of under-rated players?

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Love his music. Was not too aware of some of his equipment though. I saw something somewhere that describes him as building a lot of his own effects (there were lots of them). He seems to have cut back on them. Also that he uses solid state amps. Still gets a great sound. This is the first time I have noticed he uses a SSS set up on his SG. That surprised me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts