The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I’ve been curious about Frank Brothers guitars - partly because they are made in Toronto (I’ve been to their shop on Carlaw) - and partly because I see this very high quality guitar, with a unique aesthetic, come seemingly out of nowhere!
Now being an “old fart”, I am quite traditional … and I have struggled with the Frank look… I had a Signature that was great, but the combination of angular body shape and traditional teardrop pickguard, etc. was not my thing… plus the trapeze tailpiece and some setup features made the guitar a bit awkward for my playing style.
Enter @Alex ’s Arcade…. So I bought the Arcade and just bonded with it almost right away… a very complex tone combined with “off the charts” playability…
Plus the “angular” pickguard, three in line knobs, and modern tailpiece, etc. worked better for me aesthetically.
Naturally, for us G.A.S. Afflicted nerds, that had me looking at the Frank site, where there was a Korina “husk” for sale that was ready for routing and hardware selection… I have a really good set of Gil Yaron humbuckers… so I thought… why not order the husk as an Explorer? I detailed all the specs to the Brothers… and they said: “funny you describe those appointments, that’s EXACTLY what we were thinking… and… we’ve built that exact spec before!!!”
So I should have the finished guitar soon…
Font Wood Adaptation Screenshot Recipe

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument accessory String instrument

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
I’m just here as an enabler. Here is my Frank Bros family photo. They are my favourite guitars.
Musical instrument String instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory

Edit: Funny story about the angled guard.... The whole korina thing started in 2018 after owning my P90 Signature Model for about a year. In that time the Frank Bros had released a solid body guitar (the Arcade) and I asked if they could secure some quality korina. The Bros said that Tom Bartlett had mentioned to them that he’d love to see what they could do with korina and would let them have some of his tightly guarded old growth korina stock. Couple of weeks later Tim Frank and I are driving to Tom’s place to pick out some golden tone wood. My inspiration for the guitar was the tones of old Explorers but in the more ergonomic Frank Bros shape.

Josh Smith sees the Bros posting pictures of my korina guitar being built and reaches out to the Bros to have an Arcade built out of korina. He obviously also had the idea of an Explorer style guitar because he asked the Bros to design a pickguard inspired by the X. I wasn’t sold on the look at the time so I stuck with the teardrop guard (which I actually really like). Anyway... that plank of wood that we got from Tom was enough for three guitars. Mine, Josh Smith’s, and another that went to Japan (I believe). The only three to be built from true old growth korina - kinda cool.

That guitar quickly became my favourite, and it wasn’t long before I was planning another. This time though the X guard has got my wheels turning - I’m thinking that it could easily be modified to yield a single pickup guitar. Enter the purple beauty you see in the picture. While not “old growth”, the korina used in this one had to meet the Bros’ super stringent parameters. This guitar sounds equally as good as its older brother and is very light weight. I love the way that the X guard was modified to work on single pickup guitar. Plus, now I’ve got the first guitar they ever made with P90s, the first guitar they made out of korina (also the first with an aged finish), and the first single pickup guitar they ever made. Pretty cool, I think! All three of these guitars have Brazilian boards and big frets.

Can’t wait to hear how that guitar turns out Hugh. Be interesting to see how it compares to the one you bought from Mr. Alex. We’ll have to get all four of our korina beauties in a room together - and invite @flyingFajita who just got a STUNNING all korina axe from the Bro’s this week.

Musical instrument String instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting “back story”, Matt… and one I have not heard in its entirety before…
It was actually my attendance at a Tonefest with the lads and Matt @fogdart and his Frank Junior that inspired me to chase @Alex ‘s Arcade. The very next day I approach Alex and bought his British Racing Green topped Arcade, which had been on the GC for sale Forum for a while…

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I finally got my first one this year (also off of Matt) and I can't say enough about it. At some point in the not so distant future I'll definitely be jumping on the korina and explorer vibe train to add in.

·
Premium Member
19,594 Posts
I think they look great. I'm not sure what scale length they use, but they look like a nice variation on the standard two humbucker Gibson. I haven't held one but the quality looks good in the pictures.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Killer look on that Hugh!
I wanted to not like 047 because the look was a little jarring, but when I played it that all fell away. The guitar is exquisitely crafted and sounds like a grand piano - truly on a different plane and gives back MORE than you give it - it’s like it’s gently urging you to dig deeper and see what waits within. Look forward to your assessment of the incoming Frank Brothers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts