The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Just picked up my first Fractal piece in the form of an FM3 and about to dive deep to see what it can do.

I am an admitted amp Neanderthal when it comes to modelling.

Any axe users want to stop in and relay some tips, tricks, favourites or advice? Maybe I understand wrong but the amps/cabs/effects will be similar to what’s in the Axe III? I try to play a bit of everything but mostly writing for my band right now which is pretty heavy on the gain. My favourite amp of all time is my Uberschall but hoping I can pull some different flavours in the same area with it.

Any comments or advice or sharing will be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
17,370 Posts
Hi!

Leon Todd tutorials and the fractal forum are your new best friends.

Read the manual at least 3 times. Then again.

The factory presets are pretty good!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Use the channels on the stomps before you add another effect of the same kind. It will help with DSP headroom. Find a couple of cabs/IR’s you like and stick with them for a bit. Also, get to know the switching options before you invest in any expansions...it’s super powerful!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Let us know how it works out, and feel free to post a video if you want.

As much as I am a small tube amp guy, I see the possibilities of these units, especially for recording and just playing through desktop monitors at home.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use the channels on the stomps before you add another effect of the same kind. It will help with DSP headroom. Find a couple of cabs/IR’s you like and stick with them for a bit. Also, get to know the switching options before you invest in any expansions...it’s super powerful!
Thank you! I’ve been playing a little so far. I think your right especially for me. I’ll try master using what’s here first. There is a lot!!! And it sounds good admittedly I like more than I thought.

I’ve gotten to know cab sim and IR world and I tried a pile of power cabs. Nice thing about the FM3 is after playing it home through a few different power amps and 4x12’s and my torpedo studio,I put it in its case and brought it with me and tested a bunch of powered cabs/FRFR and went around testing what I could. I settled on this one. I focused on the sound and tone, how much I had to eq to get where I wanted with them, disregarding price, weight and trying to buy with my ears. I settled on the Friedman ASC 12 and boy is it heavy!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Oh yeah...and remember the practical DSP limit is around 80%. After that you might encounter switching problems or system lock ups.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Amazing little unit! Much congrats! I've had mine since the end of Oct. I've also had my Axe III for almost 3 years now. I enjoy using these units each and every day. Can't wait to use the FM3 live someday when we can gig again. I used the Axe III live last year up until March and it was amazing.

Cooper Carter has a great course on this unit that you can buy if you want to get a great deep dive into the unit to get the most out of it. Very informative and totally worth it!

CooperCarter.com - Classes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts