The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The VBCode "code" tags, a useful feature common to most bulletin boards, are curiously missing here. Any chance they could be brought back?

The code tags format the enclosed text in a fixed-width font; each character takes up the same amount of space and preserves white-space, which would be useful for posting tablature.

Compare: (an example posted by mister)

E|-|---|---|---|---|---|-o-|---|-o-|
B|-|---|---|---|---|---|-o-|---|-O-|
G|-|---|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
D|-|---|---|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|---|
E|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|---|---|---|
vs

I imagine that, with a little bit of template editing, the tag itself could be changed to "tab" as well.

I

·
0 Posts
You can set the font to Courier New or Fixedsys or Lucida Console or System to get a mono-spaced entry.

This a test

e - 1 -
B - 1 -
G - 0 -
D - 0 -
A - x -
E - 1 -

Did it work?

I

·
0 Posts
Schluppy said:
Not here. They all showed up as serifs, likely due to my choice of operating system.
What would be what? I see it on Winblows and Linux (RHEL4).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ubuntu

Generic <pre> and/or <code> tags eliminate such issues by allowing the browser/OS to decide which mono-spaced font to display.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Let's just blame Ubuntu, haha. It's the noobest (hell yeah, I invented a word) Linux distro available... that and SuSe, lol.

But hey, it still beats Winblows, so props to you sir.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try installing the Microsoft TT font package through the Ubuntu Add Software... link.
I could but it'd be rather silly to expect every user either to have or install the appropriate fonts to utilize a basic forum feature when a generic and universal tag, expressly designed for the purpose, could take care of it.

I

·
0 Posts
Schluppy said:
I could but it'd be rather silly to expect every user either to have or install the appropriate fonts to utilize a basic forum feature when a generic and universal tag, expressly designed for the purpose, could take care of it.
Not everyone. Just people who want to run Firefox on Ubunutu. I'm looking at this now from Firefox on my RHEL3 machine and it's not showing mono-spaced fonts.

Code:
Looks like someone added the code modifier thought so problem solved.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Code:
    E5          Badd11          E
  xx  oo       xx  oo        xx   o

7-||||||    7- ||||||      7-||||||
  ||||||       |||1||        ||||||
  ||23||       ||2|||        ||234|
<mr.burns>Excellent!</mr.burns>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts