The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I built a 50's telecaster p bass a few years ago and ordered a hand wound pickup for it. Being a single coil I made sure I shielded the pickup rout and control cavity but was still getting quite a bit of hum. I remembered reading somewhere about someone wrapping the inside of a p90 pickup cover with shielding tape so I decided to try something similar. Since this pickup is open with no cover I carefully wrapped the coil of the pickup in copper tape and ran a wire from that shield to the main ground in the control cavity and it completely removed the hum! I was stunned at how well it worked. Not exactly a minor adjustment but one that had incredible results.

Reactions: sambonee
L

·
0 Posts
I was stunned at how well it worked. Not exactly a minor adjustment but one that had incredible results.
I did the same for the J pup on my PJ Squier bass for a lark.
Figure why shield the whole thing when it's just the pup you need to worry about.
Think I'll do the same for my G&L Jazz.
Take any pictures?
I'll do that when I do the Jazz and create a thread for it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Lar, where did you get the tape?
I've seen copper tape in the local Sayal and you can also use aluminum duct tape as well. I discovered that you can actually solder to the aluminum tape as well....who'd a thought? I will post a picture when I get a chance.

Reactions: greco
L

·
0 Posts
Lar, where did you get the tape?
I used duct tape (aluminum) on the J pup.
I've also used copper on an earlier project.
You can get copper sheets/tape at stain glass supply shops.
You'll need to 'bridge' any overlaps if they don't have conductive adhesive.
A drop of solder will do or a small piece of tape turned over taped on the overlap.
This to get continuity all around.
Then solder/tape a wire to it and run to ground, as Brett mentions in post #2.

cavity.JPG

·
Registered
275 Posts
wow...that's a slick bit of taping...mine never come out that pretty...lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts