The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a 1948 Stromberg Carlson radio/record player that my girlfriend bought a few years back with hopes to restore it. At the time the tubes glowed but that was about it. She was told by the seller she should probably gut it and use the cabinet. No Way! We found a furniture restorer in Freelton Ontario that does fantastic work on antique wood furniture and he farms out radio work such as this to a guy in Hamilton. Between the two of them we got back a wonderful piece of history that is in 100% working order! Above the radio dial is a green indicator that's conical in shape and the glow on the edge is split and closes in as you tune in an AM station! Cool stuff! We just moved into a century home and last night we found an AM station playing old radio shows. It was kinda surreal but really neat.

Stromberg Carlson.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
I had all the parts of one of these for years. As things got crowded, I sold off to more interested enthusiasts.

I still have an awesome Princess Alnico speaker with a tweeter in good condition, from the era. I think it has Stromberg Carlson badging on it.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Very nice! That tuning indicator is commonly called a 'magic eye' tube.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Very nice! That tuning indicator is commonly called a 'magic eye' tube.
I bought an old radio chassis' from a guy in Virden. One had the magic eye. It also featured a pair of vacuum tubes that contained both pre-amp and power sections. Played music thru the RCA connections for a few years before it quit.

·
Premium Member
5,590 Posts
This is the first one I bought, a 1948 Phonola radio. It's radio only and it's stuck on CBC. I re-capped it and retubed it with some help from the tech I buy all my boards from (in St. Cath.) I always used it to listen to that CBC radio show Randy Bachman used to host.
Phonola2.jpg

Phonola1.jpg

Missing a couple knobs, but it works really well other than not being able to change stations.........

·
Premium Member
5,590 Posts
My second old radio/phono was a 1950 General Electric. This one never worked, I discovered the power transformer was shorted out internally.
GE Phono1.jpg

It's a project for a rainy day......I want to find/build a suitable amp to install into the cabinet, and get it working again. Not for radio, I want it to play vinyl. There's room in there for two 12's!
GE Phono2.jpg

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Cool thread..Here's my old Crosley Multi band( bad pic but it's living in my garage ).
It's a little bit rough,but hey so am I.

I haven't plugged it in for quite a few years now,
Don't know what year it is,but it did work,I remember tuning in Chicago radio stations back in the late '70s early'80s
I should get it working again,if anybody knows where in the Ottawa area,give me a heads up and I'll buy you a beer.
If you don't drink,a big mug of java will have to suffice.

·
Premium Member
25,103 Posts
My grandparents had a combo radio/phono cabinet just like the Stromberg-Carlson. I think one of my aunts bought it or won it when she was young. One of my great joys was buying my grandmother a Russ Columbo album for her to listen to on it. He was her idol, back in the 30's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts