The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
if i had that kinda money, i would buy truck loads of hairspray, and release all those cfcs into the atmosphere. if i could bring on global warming like that, i could buy desert land in arizona and end up with beach front property. i'd be a gazillionaire

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Are houses like this the ultimate in "small dick" contest? Why else would anyone need that house?

I understand the concepts of comfort & security, but what happens after those things are achieved? What continues to drive people onward into that big pissing contest that always comes with a full side of "look at me!, look at me!"?

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are houses like this the ultimate in "small dick" contest? Why else would anyone need that house?

I understand the concepts of comfort & security, but what happens after those things are achieved? What continues to drive people onward into that big pissing contest that always comes with a full side of "look at me!, look at me!"?
You can't take one bit of it with you.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
People should be permitted to do whatever they want with their money, but can't be immune to being called a pretentious ass for what they choose to do.

I don't have a strong reaction to someone living in a 38,000 sq. ft. house, especially a high-value someone who can't safely move around the way most of us losers can and needs to have most of his/her routine entertainments in the security of home.

However some of the things in that house are - to me - just stupidly-obscene wastes, show-off trophies, that make me think the owner is a dick. The fact that the real estate agent knows the cost of everything helps confirm it. Does anybody know who is the "Bruce" that built the house?

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People should be permitted to do whatever they want with their money, but can't be immune to being called a pretentious ass for what they choose to do.

I don't have a strong reaction to someone living in a 38,000 sq. ft. house, especially a high-value someone who can't safely move around the way most of us losers can and needs to have most of his/her routine entertainments in the security of home.

However some of the things in that house are - to me - just stupidly-obscene wastes, show-off trophies, that make me think the owner is a dick. The fact that the real estate agent knows the cost of everything helps confirm it. Does anybody know who is the "Bruce" that built the house?
I was bored last night and for some reason I was watching videos of mansions. I came across one where they show the guy who built that house, but I can't find it now. If I do I'll post it.

Edit:

Here it is at the 1:55 mark.

And here is wiki for Bruce McKowsky.

Bruce Makowsky - Wikipedia

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
And here is wiki for Bruce McKowsky.

Bruce Makowsky - Wikipedia
Ah, so he's a real estate developer who outfitted the house with things he *thought* would impress billionaires. The asking price has dropped from $250M to $188M... some comfort that he seems to have been wrong about what would be important to them.

I did a private gig at this house in the summer. We set up at the head of the pool. It was a very pretentious crowd - and that's for an 11,000 sq ft home at a measly 2.5 mil in Niagara.

Check out this House for sale in Niagara-On-The-Lake!

Oh, and it's for sale too.
A mere cabana compared to the places that @butterknucket is looking at buying.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, so he's a real estate developer who outfitted the house with things he *thought* would impress billionaires. The asking price has dropped from $250M to $188M... some comfort that he seems to have been wrong about what would be important to them.

A mere cottage compared to the places that @butterknucket is looking at buying.
But you can fire up the helicopter and throw tomatoes into the propeller.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Entertaining yourself at home. It's what the super-rich may often have to do to avoid becoming a ransom prize. Or a murder victim, if they've become rich unscrupulously.
Or keep your shut about your wealth and don't live like a pompous ass.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Or keep your shut about your wealth and don't live like a pompous ass.
They don't always have control of it. Bill Gates, Tim Cook, Warren Buffet (who reportedly does live modestly, but I'll bet very securely), Jeff Bezos, and so many more can't help but be known for the famous companies they build/lead. They can't wander around at the mall. I don't begrudge them their secure comforts. I wish I'd bought more of their stock.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts