The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know how often some of you folks peruse that section. i look every day, just in case something i HAVE to have appears. if i had a lottery win (haven't played here yet though) i would clean that place out. i know that sooner or later, something will appear that i absolutely must have. not long ago i was talking to a buddy of mine who has talked about picking up guitar again. i said "man...i know where you should look first..."
he looked at a whole page of guitars and said "holy shit, man! there's only one guitar on this page i wouldn't own if i had deeper pockets." it was an acoustic, is the only reason. i told him don't dare look in the pedal section.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There are some real gems there, unfortunately 99% of them are completely outside of any price range I could find myself spending in...

I’d say it’s some of the nicest selection of instruments in the country. It’s not often you find instruments of that caliber in a single place.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
its been a while since ive seen something ive really wanted, honestly. and I regret missing out on it.
ive become very picky in my old age :)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I wonder sometimes what the price of a certain guitar or amp is based on.
I know the actual selling price on anything is what someone is willing to pay. Thats the real worth.

I have a question that needs explanation.
Do the big boys ( Fender, Gibson, PRS etc etc.) offer something more in their guitars
that you cant get if you bought the BEST neck, body, pickups, hardware from the open market.?

just wondering.
G.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I look often. I find a lot of the posters should be posting in the dealer section. They are buying and flipping gear to make a living. Usually over priced.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I wonder sometimes what the price of a certain guitar or amp is based on.
I know the actual selling price on anything is what someone is willing to pay. Thats the real worth.

I have a question that needs explanation.
Do the big boys ( Fender, Gibson, PRS etc etc.) offer something more in their guitars
that you cant get if you bought the BEST neck, body, pickups, hardware from the open market.?

just wondering.
G.
Higher resale.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
i have bought and sold a few things over the years via this forum.....never had a bad experience......

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
Everyday 6-10 times daily for me. Its a great place to buy sell trade. I only buy used about 95% of the time so this works for me.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I look just about everyday even though I'm not in the market right now. Though I could be persuaded if something were to pop up that I just had to have. I've had nothing but positive experiences with the people I have dealt with on here. There is a nice selection of things for sale at all times.

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
I check listings of things I like or currently own to see what prices are on here. Sometimes if I'm in a "pretend I can buy gear" mood I'll check Kijiji/CL and L&M used section.

Between this forum and the 3 buy/sell groups I'm on via facebook (two GTA, one London) I can probably find literally anything I need for a reasonable price.

If I wasn't doing the real deal band thing, I dunno if I'd have more gear or if my car would be paid off. Probably the former...

I'd also probably be bitchier from not gigging hahaha.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't look, everything is overpriced. By scanning the adds elsewhere, I can mostly find what I want, for a fraction of the asked prices here. I'm lucky enough to live close the US border to do so.

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
I don't look, everything is overpriced.
If everything was overpriced, nothing would be selling ;). Some people post high prices some of the time - I wouldn't be surprised if they expected haggling. Like with any used market, you can make an offer and the worst that happens is the seller says no.

·
Administrator
16,477 Posts
If everything was overpriced, nothing would be selling ;). Some people post high prices some of the time - I wouldn't be surprised if they expected haggling. Like with any used market, you can make an offer and the worst that happens is the seller says no.
A few things are overpriced and therefore not selling. It's worse now than when the dollar was closer to par with the US. I bought and sold an R8 a few years ago for around $2500 Canadian. Try and find one for anywhere close to that these days. They can still be had on TGP for under $3k.

This is a Canada wide problem though, not just a GC one.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-les-paul-58-r8-wildwood-custom-shop.1876098/

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-les-paul-1958-reissue-r8-price-drop.1876037/

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-cherry-sunburst-flametop-w-throbaks.1873115/

Having said that there are still great deals to be had here almost every day and most of the folks here are very reasonable and terrific to deal with. I try my best to buy and sell everything here. Not a fan of Kijiji and have never advertised a piece of gear there. I have purchased a few things there mind you.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Higher resale.
So thats it....A perceived notion that their stuff is more valuable with no facts to back it up..
I would of thought that Fender and Gibson and the rest would boast about something that makes them better.
I have never seen their claim as to why they are better but since everyone thinks it is so,
I guess they don't have to prove it.
G.

Reactions: Steadfastly

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yeah ... forgot 2 words: for me :confused:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts