The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a first for me..
I've bought and sold a lot of guitars over the years. Met some amazing people through the process. I pride myself in describing any wear and ensuring the buyer knows what to expect before a deal.
Today I bought a guitar that from the description I was expecting to have issues. I negotiated the price according to the description and was willing to pay for what I expected.
Showed up at the meet location and the guitar was in Way better condition than described. The seller had said there was finish wear and tear. Swirling etc. Looks great to me.
He explained a fret issue which on inspection I have no issues with.

To his detriment I think it's why the guitar hadn't sold faster as it was a great deal as posted and I negotiated it further.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Now ... we have to see it.

I am usually pretty lucky with unseen buys. I got the other side of your medal on my last acquisition. Guitar is on Kijiji in Toronto. I have a friend go get it and send it to me via another friend, driving back to Eastern Townships in Québec. Seller tells me there is a surface wear on the back and the rest is great. Looks more of a good bump on the pictures, but he assures me it isn't so. Turns out it't a 1/8'' deep, 1'' X 3/8'' wide, filled with some epoxy or something. The top and edges have three nice dings through the finish. Did the small surface bumps happened in transit ? I'll probably never know.

The guitar plays awesome, price was below market value and I don't see the blemishes anymore. So all is good, but it's a lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
The condition of an instrument is another subjective matter. I sold an amp 10 years ago (with no photos - those were the days) and rated the condition "Very Good". The buyer got the amp and thought it was in "Good/Fair" condition. I posted a poll with pictures and 50% of the forum members voted Very Good and the other 50% "Good/Fair"....

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The condition of an instrument is another subjective matter. I sold an amp 10 years ago (with no photos - those were the days) and rated the condition "Very Good". The buyer got the amp and thought it was in "Good/Fair" condition. I posted a poll with pictures and 50% of the forum members voted Very Good and the other 50% "Good/Fair"....
I'd say that was a fairly good poll.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
When I place ads, I never give a bunch of details and when I look for something I usually skip reading all the details. I give a fair description of the item and word my ad that eliminates the tire kickers. I leave the details for when the person calls and asks questions or he/she comes to see it. That is the way I like to buy and right or wrong, that is the way I sell. That has always worked very well for me.

However, I never buy a guitar or amp with the thought of reselling it. I buy to play and that likely gives me a different outlook than those who buy and sell on a regular basis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts