The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
good post! it's a beautiful guitar. i'm not a fan of 3 humbuckers though. were they to make one with only 2 i might be tempted to check one out.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
A black beauty with different pups. lol

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I saw this too. I’m a big Frampton fan. I guess there are two versions. One being 400 dollars more which comes with a signed booklet and hardshell case. Can’t seem to find any difference in the guitars. Limited numbers too. A nice alternative to the CS version.

·
Premium Member
25,170 Posts
What is the pickup-switching arrangement in the various 3xHB Gibsons and Epis? I always had the sense that it never aimed for flexibility, but then who knows what lurks underneath.

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
I can't speak about Epi's, but with 3 pup Gibson LPC's, it is one pickup per position, no combining. So neck-middle-bridge going from top to bottom of the switch.

I find the 2 pup LP's have as much variety with the combined setting, and the middle pup sometimes gets in the way for me. But everyone likes something different, that's why they make lots of different types.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I can't speak about Epi's, but with 3 pup Gibson LPC's, it is one pickup per position, no combining. So neck-middle-bridge going from top to bottom of the switch.

I find the 2 pup LP's have as much variety with the combined setting, and the middle pup sometimes gets in the way for me. But everyone likes something different, that's why they make lots of different types.
I've never owned a Custom but I've played a number of them over the years and I'm pretty sure the middle position on the switch was always middle/bridge combination. I could be wrong but I know the 3 pickup late 70's Artisan I played recently was wired that way.

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
I've never owned a Custom but I've played a number of them over the years and I'm pretty sure the middle position on the switch was always middle/bridge combination. I could be wrong but I know the 3 pickup late 70's Artisan I played recently was wired that way.
Yea, you could be right. My recollection is 35 years old; in the early 80s when a buddy owned a 3 pup LPC very similar to my 2 pup. I thought it was wired as I mentioned but it's been along time, a lot of whiskey, etc .....................

Maybe I got it confused with a Strat. I was surprised when I first played a Strat (with a 3 pos switch) and couldn't combine any pups. Seemed limited to me. Five pos switches still seemed limited, given all the pickups available.

Reactions: GuitarT

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
It's wired exactly like his original. Middle pup always on with separate volume and tone pots. Toggle switch works just like a normal Les Paul. Master Volume and tone for the bridge and neck.

Pro buckers neck and bridge with a Ceramic pro for the middle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts