The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Walk into a Best Buy and you may experience it. No one wants to serve you. You may ask how something works, or how to install it. You'll take up their time.

My wife and I stood for 15 minutes waiting to be seated in Kelsey's while the staff totally ignored us, despite the fact that the place was nearly empty. They're likely thinking... You're not the kind of people that fits our image. You may not order alcohol or leave a decent tip. You may be picky about how your food is prepared. You can stand there until you decide to leave. and head over to Swiss Chalet.

Last week my newly retired brother said to me "I have never felt so discriminated against since I retired from my job."

It's out there, but no one seems to make an issue of it.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Grandson: "Grampa, why do you hate teenagers?"

Kapn:"Because they look like they should know better, but they don't."

Grandson: "I guess that sums it up."

(I suppose I get what I deserve.)

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
I've been ignored by store employees since the 90's slacker generation came along, when I was still relatively young, but I've sure learned nobody wants to hire a 60 something year old in this shitty Alberta economy.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Did you ask to be seated? Did you flag down someone at the best buy? Were you polite about it?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I had the same experience at Best Buy couple years back. They had the guitar section back then and I was checking them out, even took a few down off the wall. Two young staff members were off to the side carrying on some conversation and wouldn't give me the time of day. Three guys in their late teens/early twenties showed up looking at some gear and the staff were all over them like a soup sandwich. I had the exact same thing happen a a local music store. These people have to learn that over weight bald guys in their 50's often have fatter wallets than twenty something wanna-be's.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you ask to be seated? Did you flag down someone at the best buy? Were you polite about it?
You sound like a member of the 90s generation as described by Sneaky. You shouldn't need to cause a commotion to get service, or kiss anyone's ass.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
You sound like a member of the 90s generation as described by Sneaky. You shouldn't need to cause a commotion to get service, or kiss anyone's ass.
Please show me where I said to cause a commotion.

Im sure it happens. Im asking what you did about it.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Walk into a Best Buy and you may experience it. No one wants to serve you. You may ask how something works, or how to install it. You'll take up their time.

My wife and I stood for 15 minutes waiting to be seated in Kelsey's while the staff totally ignored us, despite the fact that the place was nearly empty. They're likely thinking... You're not the kind of people that fits our image. You may not order alcohol or leave a decent tip. You may be picky about how your food is prepared. You can stand there until you decide to leave. and head over to Swiss Chalet.

Last week my newly retired brother said to me "I have never felt so discriminated against since I retired from my job."

It's out there, but no one seems to make an issue of it.

I am not sure that either of those situations are examples of age discrimination. They could be, but aren't necessarily so. I find that the people working in Best Buy are useless, unless you are very pushy about getting help. Then again, them coming over to the younger guys might be an indication that it was an age thing.

As for Kelsey's, that could simply have been laziness.

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
maybe that generation can't tell the difference between us - the 50 to 70 year olds that for the most part are quite tech savvy, and the 80+ year olds that are mostly a tech lost cause.

I've certainly experienced it in music stores.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Yeah.

The sales guy at Best Buy wouldn’t shut the fuck up about gaming after I specifically said several times that I don’t game and won’t be using the computer for gaming at all. When I told him I was leaving because of it he said I was too old fashioned. The Apple store was fantastic.

Even though I’ve got a pretty good local reputation as a private music instructor, at times I have been passed over because I’m not perceived as young and hip. It’s okay inasmuch as I don’t have a problem with student procurement and retention, but the younger instructors never seem to stick at it.

The young bucks at Cdn Tire who didn’t believe there was such a thing as white lithium grease, “you mean batteries”...no...” there’s no such thing” ...so I learned ‘em but good when I done showed them the product after I was forced to find it myself. Don’t know whether it was specifically ageism, but was certainly arrogant and haughty.

Service from younger folks, often enough women, who seem to perceive me as grandfatherly, is great. Be charming and witty, polite and patient, and we old guys can get our way. I figure if they disrespect me on account of my age, there are probably those who get it worse. Still...

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Don’t forget to ask for your senior’s discount.

In my 50’s I closed down my businesses and went back to school to get some initials behind my name so I could look for a job in the IT field. No one would hire me. They never said it was age but it was pretty obvious. A year later I had contracts with two of the same companies as an independent consultant at several times what the salary was for the jobs I applied for. As a salaried employee age was a detriment. As an independent consultant it was an asset. Yes, ageism exists but it can work both ways.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Both ways indeed. Before I went grey and bearded, if I walked into a jewellery store I would be completely ignored, or worse, watched like a hawk. I was looking for a gift for my first girlfriend as a teenager, and was looking for a long time and the only customer in the store. They completely ignored me, yet never stopped watching me out of the corner of their eyes.

I got fed up, and threw two grand in cash on the counter. When they came running for their commission, I told them to go fly a kite and took my money elsewhere.

I managed a McDonald's through university and I can tell you with 100% certainly that the shittiest of people are between the ages of 10 and 100. Anyone that says any different is wrong.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Service from younger folks, often enough women, who seem to perceive me as grandfatherly, is great. Be charming and witty, polite and patient, and we old guys can get our way.

I haven't hit 50 yet (191 days to go!) but I've got a couple of the girls at my local Petsmart eating out of the palm of my hand, to the point that they give me their employee discount on everything I buy (they are both managers so can get away with it). It doesn't hurt that my pup is adorable and they gush over him.

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Retired for 3 1/2 years. Not yet.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
The older I get the more I get attention in some stores--they mistakenly believe I have disposable income!

And I'm not really that old.

Reactions: Mooh

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
I haven't hit 50 yet (191 days to go!) but I've got a couple of the girls at my local Petsmart eating out of the palm of my hand, to the point that they give me their employee discount on everything I buy (they are both managers so can get away with it). It doesn't hurt that my pup is adorable and they gush over him.
Well, I'm 60. Dogs must be a turn on. When I walk either of mine, women often approach me in a friendly manner...mind you, small town folks tend to recognize each other more readily anyway. The PetValue store here is very friendly too.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts