The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
He's a nice guy. I chatted with him probably a decade or so back, at the Montreal Guitar Expo. The co-worker I went with asked Robert about an older model guitar he had, and Godin was enthusiastic about it, particularly the pickups, and urged him to hang onto it because the German-made pickups were not available any more.

I hadn't realized that Simon & Patrick guitars were named for his sons, Simon and Patrick.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would like to add a Godin to my collection someday. Just can’t find an electric I like. I might have to break down and buy an acoustic.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I’m really enjoying the Stadium ‘59 I picked up a month ago. Very light, great radius and fret size, and has that Fender 25” scale I love for digging in.

The pickups are great stock, and the HDR feature opens a whole new gamut of sounds...not just a volume boost, but a “hump” in the mids that stand out in a live performance. I’m a Telecaster nut, and this is a super-Tele.
I don’t miss the Les Paul Goldtop I sold at the same time. I think I’m done with Gibson.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Out of a dozen guitars my Godin A12 and La Patrie Etude get the most play by far. I played the A12 at an open mic last night. I got several compliments on the set. The 12 string adds something none of the other participants had and like all Godin's I've played it is a very easy guitar to play.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you ever get a chance to see Robert give a clinic, jump on it! He's both informative about the brand and entertaining at the same time! What surprised me was the number of people who brought their guitars in for him t0 sign (which he did)!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Coming back to show off my beauties!
The one on the right is a production model, and the left is a prototype model, only 1 of 3-4 made. The only differences as far as I can tell is the proto has the back painted the same as the front, maybe they felt it was too on the nose for what they were going for... haha! Also, the fretboard is Richlite, whereas the production one is Rosewood.
Maybe wood selection is different, but I can't tell really as they're both 10+lbs and feel the same in just about every other way.

20190118_193713.jpg

20190118_193744.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
I’ve owned a shit load of Godin made guitars. Even after a concerted long term effort to reduce the instrument hoard I still have 3 electrics, a bass, Merlin, Seagull, S&P, and a Norman. The quality and tone suit me, price isn’t a huge issue but they’re decent bang for the buck anyway. There are several models that tempt me and if I ever reverse the flow they’re definitely on the short list.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Wouldn’t Godin be the most well known Canadian guitar manufacturer ever.. The only other one I thought had a pretty decent following was Lado...

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Wouldn’t Godin be the most well known Canadian guitar manufacturer ever.. The only other one I thought had a pretty decent following was Lado...
Maybe out east.

On the prairies. in the 70s, 80s and 90s, it was Fury and then Lado. I didn't see my first Godin until I moved to the coast. It might be different now. That was 20+ years ago.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Love my S&P showcase.

I think it's odd the Taylor and Martin can't make a guitar, even one with HPL back and sides, under $1000 in the USA. Godin can make all sorts of models from $300-$1200 out of solid wood and paying Canadian wages.
In Taylor’s case, it’s advertising. They have spent a gajillion dollars advertising over the last decade. Every guitar magazine has at least a one-page, frequently two-page ad in it. Think of the cost of all those magazines they make too. Somebody has to pay for that! Us.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts