The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,767 Posts
The caption should read, was here to have a hang nail repaired.

My experience has been that most people who wait so long in an ER waiting room, didn't need to go there. It's not Tim Hortons where first come, first served is the rule. Triage is important.

But, that's just my opinion.
Emergency rooms are a catch-all now. Sometimes it just means the Drs office is closed, booked up, or wont be open again for several days. Ive been sent there for things like broken hand, foot etc. It isnt necessarily for life threatening things like gunshots and heart attacks...almost noone is really dying while waiting in the emergency room.

The long wait times IMO have more to do with "getting what we paid for" with a subsidized healthcare system, than patient-blaming. There are just arent a lot of resources. everyone gets basic care ie not very good, unless you get routed into the path for special circumstances, like cancer.
Just before the pandemic, my elderly aunt went to a restaurant just on the other side of the niagara falls border. Once there, she tripped on some stairs and broke both her legs. She stayed for a week at a hospital there before her insurance provider ordered a transfer to an ontario hospital (ended up being in the hospital for several months more). the care she received in the US was 10X better than in Canada.

In fairness, the cartoon doesnt say its a hospital or emergency room. could just be a Dr's office. Ive waited over an hour for a scheduled appt with a GP before.

Reactions: Midnight Rider

·
Premium Member
19,607 Posts
Emergency rooms are a catch-all now. Ive been sent there for things like broken hand, foot etc. It isnt necessarily for life threatening things like gunshots and heart attacks...almost noone is really dying while waiting in the emergency room.

The long wait times IMO have more to do with "getting what we paid for" with a subsidized healthcare system, than patient-blaming. There are just arent a lot of resources. everyone gets basic care ie not very good, unless you get routed into the path for special circumstances, like cancer.
Just before the pandemic, my elderly aunt went to a restaurant just on the other side of the niagara falls border. Once there, she tripped on some stairs and broke both her legs. She stayed for a week at a hospital there before her insurance provider ordered a transfer to an ontario hospital (ended up being in the hospital for several months more). the care she received in the US was 10X better than in Canada.
Well, testimonials are like opinions and.....those other things that everybody has.

No offence to my American friends, but I've heard more negative stories about American healthcare than positives. You know, those stories about people losing their homes because they needed medical care and lacked insurance.

Anyway, I had direct experience with our healthcare and I figure they saved my life. I was treated with excellent care and follow up.

In fact, all of my contacts with the healthcare system here have been positive.

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
11,767 Posts
No offence to my American friends, but I've heard more negative stories about American healthcare than positives. You know, those stories about people losing their homes because they needed medical care and lacked insurance.

Anyway, I had direct experience with our healthcare and I figure they saved my life. I was treated with excellent care and follow up.

In fact, all of my contacts with the healthcare system here have been positive.

YMMV.
Oh I didnt say it was cheap....just that it was actually good!

Glad you had positive experiences. Unfortunately, many ppl in this country have died while waiting for their free treatments (documented, not just anecdotes), and why those can afford it often will go south for critical treatments.
Why Canadian premier seeks health care in U.S. (sfgate.com)

·
Premium Member
19,607 Posts
Oh I didnt say it was cheap....just that it was actually good!

Glad you had positive experiences. Unfortunately, many ppl in this country have died while waiting for their free treatments (documented, not just anecdotes), and why those can afford it often will go south for critical treatments.
Why Canadian premier seeks health care in U.S. (sfgate.com)
So, it's good as long as you're wealthy enough to afford it.

Justice is a lot like that as well. How rich you are really matters in terms of the justice you receive. That's not better IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,767 Posts
So, it's good as long as you're wealthy enough to afford it.

Justice is a lot like that as well. How rich you are really matters in terms of the justice you receive. That's not better IMO.
conversely, what good is free if I dont get to live to use it?
It sucks to have to pay for healthcare. But if something saved my life i think id pay any price. its not the time to haggle.

fun fact: life isnt fair. who knew money leads to having better things?
Sports uniform Jersey Shorts Sleeve Sports jersey

·
Premium Member
19,607 Posts
conversely, what good is free if I dont get to live to use it?
It sucks to have to pay for healthcare. But if something saved my life i think id pay any price. its not the time to haggle.

fun fact: life isnt fair.

Another fun fact.

The grass is always greener on the other side, LOL.

I'm pretty good with things up here. It's not perfect, but the idea of living south of the border, based on my extensive contact and travels down there, is a non-starter for me.

I could have relocated in the states with a nice cushy package several times over the years.

No disrespect intended. As I have said, I have great friends and business associates all over the USA. But, for me, Canada is a much better place to live.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,729 Posts
When corrections officers come in with some guy in an orange suit in handcuffs and chains on his ankles the orange suit goes to the front of the line.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
Hi Lola. How's the patient treating the help today?

I'm sure it's been looked into as far as why it happened, but what do they say about rheumatoid arthritis? Does he have any autoimmune diseases? That looks like classic arthritis.

As well you said he was 250lbs. That weight can also cause foot issues.

Have you found any support for yourself?

I wish you all the best.
You are very sweet!! Thx for asking. My hubby is 6’3” so 250 on his frame is not bad. My neighbor has offered to come be with him in the morning for a coffee and if he needs something she will be there to help him. She is just a phone call away. I feel relieved. He had a bit of an accident. He was going to fast and the scooter tipped in the house. It was so hard to get him up. I almost called 1st responders. I managed though. 6 more weeks and then they break toes and insert the rods.
Things are getting easier. I am glad he’s off the morphine. I know what to expect: a plain grumpy middle aged man! Lol

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
2,060 Posts
He checked the PSI in the tires and they were down to 16 pounds when they should of been at 35
So, the low tire pressure was the cause of his accident?..has he begun to modify it for increased performance?
Probably can't chop and lower it much more, eh?

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
So, the low tire pressure was the cause of his accident?..has he begun to modify it for increased performance?
Probably can't chop and lower it much more, eh?
Don’t know if that was the cause.
Actually we were thinking of getting some ape hangers, an awooga horn. Lol My son took the bell off of my old bike and put it on his scooter. When ever he needs something now he rings the bell! The bell will get old really fast.

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
Emergency rooms are a catch-all now. Sometimes it just means the Drs office is closed, booked up, or wont be open again for several days. Ive been sent there for things like broken hand, foot etc. It isnt necessarily for life threatening things like gunshots and heart attacks...almost noone is really dying while waiting in the emergency room.

Remember Telehealt?. I must have spoken to a dozen people who called them for advice and in every instance they were told to go to the Emergency Department.
Probably was a directive from their Legal Department - imagine the lawsuits if Telehealth told someone to just take a Tylenol and get some rest - and then they died................................

81 - 100 of 103 Posts