The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Vancouverites :wave:,

I'm have trouble finding stuff around here, and I'm surprised considering Vancouver is one of the largest city. Most of my gear comes from eBay, but I do not really want to rely on it, especially if the item is expensive. Sometimes I get a lucky seller who marks the price low for shipping and duty purposes, but at the same time I've been scammed twice (though I got my money back, not 100% though. oh well). And I can forget about large items. But right now, $CAN is great for eBay (go Canada! :smilie_flagge17:)

I check up on Craigslist frequently, but most of the items I see are not at my level. Tom Lee carries a decent amount, but I don't really like the stuff they carry. L&M has a lot of Fender/Gibson guitars, but not many accessories and gears. I guess I am looking for variety and mid/high-end equipment. For necessity and experimenting.

Where do you get your gear?
Is Vancouver not so much of a musically-thriving city?

P.S.
I don't know where to put this thread. If its in the wrong place, please move it!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I for one get most of my stuff off of eBay, Craigslist or this forum. For the most part I buy online. There's a place called "Not Just Another Music Store" on Granville on the south side of the bridge that carries some out of the ordinary stuff. I check their stuff out once and awhile. I used to shop at Tom Lee and L&M in downtown Vancouver but found that the staff weren't very helpful. Most of them were too busy posing and trying to look cool. Waiting for their next big gig....whatever. Anyways, to answer your question, I have yet to find a decent music shop in the Vancouver area.

:rockon:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You too hey

I recognize the store name, but I haven't been there yet. I think there was another store around that area? Rufus?
Honestly, I don't like going to Tom Lee. Not very knowledgeable, and they seem like the type of people that can easily steal money off a beginner:sport-smiley-002:. I'm probably wrong though :rolleyes:.
I also don't like L&M that much, I went to the one on Arbutus; great people there but one guy pisses me off. He gave me a bad service, and swearing is a :2guns: for any customer. Not enough parts and accessories at that place too. I heard the Surrey store is bigger and better. Checked it out but wasn't big at all. And had just as much less stuff (hahaha!).

Anyone else like to share? Know places that may not carry stuff but will put in orders for you? I'd really like to know.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Almost forgot about Rufus. I actually bought a guitar there. Pretty good service. Not a ton of stuff, but what they had was pretty decent. They also carry Hagstrom.

Actually, the store where I got the best service was Toews in Abbotsford. Bought a Strat there a few years ago. I think the guys name was Jim. Toews tends to carry parts as well - the most I've seen. I think they are associated to L&M but I'm not sure.

As for parts etc...other than the standard 250k, 500k pots, some tuning pegs and the like, you won't find much as far as parts go. Online works best here.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The good old days of competition are long gone. Tom Lee and L&M bought up some of the smaller shops(Wards, Calder, Troy, etc.) over the years.

Decent stores to check out are:

Rufus - haven't been there is a long time but a great store for acoustic gear
Not Just Another Music Shop - wide variety with a lot of used gear
Deep Cove Music in North Van - carry Hagstrom and G&L
Bone Rattle Music - local Sparrow dealer
Crossroads Music in Port Moody - never know when they are open. Dealer of Asian copy brands like Dillion and Vintage. Still have a couple Tokais in stock.

I haven't had a chance to check out some of the smaller stores in the 'burbs like Tapestry Music and R&R.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Honestly I never buy anything from Canada, way too expensive. All my purchases are either musicians friend (not a big fan but dirt cheap strings) or sweetwater. Once and if Canadian retailers actually drop the prices of their equipment I'll start buying here, until then all my purchases will be US based. As far as duty goes, it's al shipped to my girlfriend's place and I just stay down there for a 3 days which brings up amount dollar wise to bring into the country for those higher priced items.

But if you're looking for stuff like VHT, Soldano, Bogner, ENGL, etc... you'll have to be ordering them yourself from one of the US distributers ie Musicians Friend cause I don't think any L&M will be stocking those.
Even Pickups paying average $69 for Dimarzio pickups (Ebay is the best place that I've found for Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio Pickups) compared to... honestly I can't remember how much they were last time I checked. You get what I'm saying right?

And in my opinion, stay away from Tom Lee Music!! Worst prices I've ever seen!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like to make the rounds of the greater Vancouver area guitar shops once in a while just to kinda look, but I tend to end up buying usually in the States -better selection and better prices. Make a day trip sometime to the new Hugo Helmer store in Burlington, WA (more Gibson Historics than I've ever seen at one time!) and, a little farther down the road near Lynnwood, WA, there's a huge Guitar Center with tons of stuff. And that's not even touching the Seattle area shops. Getting the gear back over the border, however, may involve a little...uhh...creativity! It'll cost you a tank of gas, but it's worth going just for the education and a fun day.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only person who prefers shopping in the US. I thought I'd get brutally flamed for that.

Now back to writing my KPE report:zzz:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Even Pickups paying average $69 for Dimarzio pickups (Ebay is the best place that I've found for Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio Pickups) compared to... honestly I can't remember how much they were last time I checked. You get what I'm saying right?

And in my opinion, stay away from Tom Lee Music!! Worst prices I've ever seen!
I wanted to get a set of Dimarzio Area 58 and Area 61 pickups a while back from L&M and I was quoted around $300 plus tax. I then contacted an eBay seller with an online store and got them shipped to my door for a grand total of around $170...oh yeah, and they sound awesome in my strat.

As for Tom Lee - worst prices and worst service but I think the service has a lot to do with management. I've never met a happy Tom Lee employee. They are always bitching about their bosses.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Well looks like all the music stores worth mentioning have been done so, the only music store I have bought anything from latley is Deep Cove music store,nice folks and some decent prices, and I have recently bought stuff from Tom Lee in Richmond,sorry not guitar related piano, and a trombone, daughter is enrolled in the music program at Douglas Colllege in New West.But when I do go to the Richmond Tom Lee I like it better than downtown store at least they are some what knowledgable out here and the piano guy,well lets just say he'll never steer you wrong and is extremley helpful.I wanted to mention that the new L&M on Arbutus, they only good service I ever got in there was from the acosutic guy,he's no longer there,damn shame to,he didn't pre-judge you when you walked into the store,my AmEx Gold buys what I want,and most of the Sales guys wouldn't give me the time of day,as I always wear t-shirt and older jeans and sometimes I can't be bothered to comb through my hair ( and those suckers work off a commision) to bad for them ,hey.Ship............oh also Rufus, great place for higher end acoustics if you are looking for used,but you really have to negotiate hard with them to get them to drop down their prices.alls fair in love and guitars.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
As for Tom Lee - worst prices and worst service but I think the service has a lot to do with management. I've never met a happy Tom Lee employee. They are always bitching about their bosses.
And they are on commission so the best item for you will always be the most expensive. :mad:

The worst Tom Lee that I've found, so far, is the Coquitlam store. Nothing like trying to get assistance from a salesman who barely speaks English. I've also had salesmen who hang around long enough to answer one or two questions then suddenly disappear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wanted to get a set of Dimarzio Area 58 and Area 61 pickups a while back from L&M and I was quoted around $300 plus tax. I then contacted an eBay seller with an online store and got them shipped to my door for a grand total of around $170...oh yeah, and they sound awesome in my strat.
$300?? HAHAHAHA!!! Shit if I were to buy everything here in Canada I'd still be playing out of my old Fender ultimate chorus and my aria les paul ripoff... not the good kind of rip off either. Poor student like me can't afford the prices.

But having places like L&M for rental purposes is pretty useful. For all my peavey products I shop locally at Toews Music, they are pretty much matching the prices of Axemusic.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
they only good service I ever got in there was from the acosutic guy,he's no longer there,damn shame to,he didn't pre-judge you when you walked into the store,my AmEx Gold buys what I want,and most of the Sales guys wouldn't give me the time of day,as I always wear t-shirt and older jeans and sometimes I can't be bothered to comb through my hair ( and those suckers work off a commision) to bad for them ,hey.
That's hilarious. I do the same thing (not necessarily on purpose). I actually end up looking like a bum every time I go shopping for something. I usually end up with the most helpful sales people because the competitive "go for the big money" types won't even look at me. Too bad for them because when I go shopping, I'm going to spend, spend, spend....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe L&M carry Soldano. They seem to have a good connection with the office down in Seattle. As for ENGL and VHT, I'm pretty sure there is a small place somewhere in BC that distributes these. I've contacted the store before, but I forgot; it was a while ago.

So US is the way to go hey. How is it; pricewise, is it worth the shipping and duties? I don't really check out MF; they only ship up some of their items :mad:. I would really like to head down south and shop too. Can you guys name a few stores so I don't have to drive around like a fool looking for one?

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you are after guitar parts...

try Ewart Guitars on Parker. Barry runs a great guitar repair shop and he usually has a good selection of Fender and Gibson parts as well as strings. There's also a varying selection of good used guitars and amps on consignment. I avoid the "big box" stores and also order from the US.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Never heard of that place. I'll have to check it out. :banana:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That's hilarious. I do the same thing (not necessarily on purpose). I actually end up looking like a bum every time I go shopping for something. I usually end up with the most helpful sales people because the competitive "go for the big money" types won't even look at me. Too bad for them because when I go shopping, I'm going to spend, spend, spend....
Same here. I hate dressing up when I'm not a work. I sometimes have fun with it. I'll wear an old T-shirt and jeans but expensive shoes. The older salesmen rarely give me the time of day. The young ones, maybe because they don't judge people by their appearance as much, maybe because they have sharper eyes and spotted my shoes, will be nicer to me. One thing for sure, it always catches the attention of the salesmen who ignored me when I pull an inch-thick envelope out of my pocket.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's a place called "Not Just Another Music Store" on Granville on the south side of the bridge that carries some out of the ordinary stuff. I check their stuff out once and awhile.
I like this shop. Their staff have been very helpful to me, and they carry a lot of used and out of the ordinary gear. They give discounts if you take lessons there (like me), and they are willing to order in new stock from the US to help us maximize our purchasing power with the high dollar.

Rufus' guitar shop is good, too, but I haven't bought anything there.

The service at the downtown Tom Lee is pretty bad.

I've gotten some good service from three staffers at L&M Arbutus -- I look for them every time I go back now, and don't bother with the staff who don't understand that their job is to help customers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts