The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Haha. I forgot about these contraptions. They have been around for awhile. Prolly NOS, who would keep making them? Anyone have one/seen one? It looks dumb, prove me wrong...

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
I've played one of the electrics--the hinge part feels strong.
The main thing I'd be concerned about is the strings being tangled.

They were on Shark Tank & turned down a deal in season one & later worked out a deal, which apparently never aired.

I looked & found some videos...
Here's an update of post season one rejecting the first deal
And here is an update after they worked out a deal

the Fender thing doesn't seem to have gone far--but they still have a website & still make & sell these.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
A Google image-search for "folding guitar" yields many examples; obviously none of them set neck. For some reason, I have a vague recollection that either Hoyer or Shergold used to make them, but I might have an erroneous memory there. Certainly I'm not seeing any in the image-search.

In addition to the string-tangle, I'd be concerned with stress on the neck; particularly for acoustics. Relief on the neck is predicated on back-tension provided by the strings. When that back tension is removed by folding the neck over, the neck can bend in the wrong direction. I've likely mentioned in past that when I brought my pre-war Kalamazoo to Brian Dubbledam to address the buzzing I was getting, he asked me what gauge strings I was using. When I answered "light gauge", he identified that as the problem and urged me to switch back to medium gauge, and the problem would go away. I did, and it did. The non-adjustable neck had a degree of relief built in to result in a straight and level fretboard when the pull of the strings in one direction and the bow of the neck in the other, were in equal balance. Too little pull from the strings, when using light gauge, and the neck bow won.

That doesn't mean a foldable neck would necessarily result in instant neck damage. But certainly leaving the instrument folded up for any lengthy period would allow the neck to conform more to the relief during that period. And forcing the neck to go back and forth from high tension to none can't be good for it. Of course, if we're talking about a heavy maple reinforced double truss-rod neck, and regular use of 9-46 sets, such concerns are moot.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
A number of people over on AGF have them or have played them. I can't remember anyone saying they were awful but usually they get a positive response and some are quite positive. A number of skeptical members said they were surprised at the quality and sound they have.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I'm skeptical until proven wrong :)

On a related note, I saw a band last year at the Dakota Tavern, and at the end of the night, the double bass player popped the neck right out of the body! Both pieces fit nicely into a case, and away he went.

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Haha. I forgot about these contraptions. They have been around for awhile. Prolly NOS, who would keep making them? Anyone have one/seen one? It looks dumb, prove me wrong...
Voyage Air seems to still be in business, or at least their website is still live. Travel guitar by Voyage Air - as seen on Shark Tank - the guitar that folds in half for easy travel
I've read quite a few positive comments about them on the AGF. People who own them over there have made positive comments about the tone and playability of the guitars.

They give a decent review here and it doesn't sound bad, either.

This guy also seems to get pretty sweet sounds out of it (a bit longwinded in the review, but he quite likes the guitar)

Of course, YouTube audio is always a crap-shoot, but they don't sound bad to me through my headphones.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Yes, and I think, JD, that some member over there just bought one if my memory serves me correctly.

Reactions: jdto
1 - 10 of 10 Posts